Used truck- Biodiesel

patrickf

Reaction score
Hello:

Still learning my way around the forums.
Posted earlier on the 6.0 forum.

I have a 2004 Ford, F-250, 6.0L PS
The truck was purchased new, and now has 80,000 miles.
Only repair has been a turbocharger (at 65,000K).

Have been running the truck on homebrew (washed and dried) biodiesel for approx. 1500k miles (25%bio, 75% dino). So far the truck runs really well. My goal is to raise the percentage to 50/50 in the heat of the summer.

Want to get an older diesel truck (preferrably a Ford) that is tolerant of biodiesel. Rumor has it that the 6.0L is not necessarily fond of BD (possible polymerization of the fuel due to the 28K psi injector pressure, if you run too high a percentage)

Something simple and bulletproof; no frills.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Patrick.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you've come to the right spot in your search of a "better" truck :D
The IDI's do have their issues(lack of power mainly) but for the most part, as long as the mix is good and you have an extra IP and injectors stashed just in case if things do get gummed up, I have literally fed my '92 anything that will burn. Upside, with feul approaching $3/gallon, having the ability to burn multifeuls can't be bad. Downside, you might loose a IP($400) and injectors($200). But compared to the potential cost fixing a gummed up PSD, that's cheap. ;Sweet :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main issue with IP and injector wear from alternate fuels seems to be from lack of lubrication, or excessive impurities. Additives may compensate. Guys have run on 100% motor oil (waste motor oil, or WMO), which tends to be a bit thick, and prone to clogging in the filter. Plenty of lubrication, but since it is used motor oil, it still is not as pure and clean as #2. Anything you put in there that isn't as pure as #2 sets you up for decreased fuel system life. Be that as it may though, the economics mean that if you can get over 12 tank fulls through these parts, then anything over that is free. And there is a good chance you could do just that.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
In regards to running biodiesel in a IDI. I think you will find that the truck will run better with less smoke under load. The only problem I have had is with my old return lines leaking. Midwest fuel injection sells a kit to replace those lines, which is probably good preventive maintenance on a 20 year old truck. The B99 I'm running is a commercial product, but if you're washing and drying your homebrew you should be fine. Good luck.