Used to own a 6.2

Jumper

Reaction score
I used to own a 6.2 years ago. Man was that a good truck. I sure appreciate you guys who still run them. :love: I don't see too many around anymore.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend had a 1985 show truck... more than 12 inches of lift..... 38 inch tires.. and a 6.2..... It ran real nice in that truck... seemed to move quite well for its size.... Last i saw that truck was in Marquette Michigan.... When he sold it...
Before he sold it.. he replaced the 6.2 with a 6.5 due to a water in the intake problem.....

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had a 6.2 - 1982 K5 w/ Banks Sidewinder Turbo, TH400 behind it. It was ok... Never left me stranded even when it blew a head gasket in Wyoming.... Got me all the way back home.

Do I miss it?? Nah.... It got me started though...

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by turbokid
I used to have a 6.2, also. Still have the truck, but not the 6.2.

See sig.:cool

I looked at your pics - great installation in the '84!

turbokid

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to update my pics, though, those ones were before I installed the HX-35/12 and the first gen intercooler... I now also have 3" pipe to and from intercooler, instead of the 2" in the pics.

It runs real good, especially since I added the holset. Still need to dyno it, and maybe do a 1/4 mile run, but my 0-60 is about 10.5 seconds, not bad for a 7000 pound truck.
It'll burn the 33's no problem..:D

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you've got an Allison behind it? Those Isuzu 6 bangers are hard to beat...

turbokid

Reaction score
Yep, I've got an AT542 Allison 4 speed behind it. It shifts good and handles the horsepower really well. (I've got a temp guage in the converter output line.)
The tranny bolts right up via an SAE #3 bellhousing. I made an adapter that bolts up to the four 1/2" bolts on the rear of the tranny (originally to mount parking brake) to mount my NP208, as well as a stub shaft to couple them together.
It does a good job, I pulled my jeep down to southeastern utah over christmas for a little winter jeepin, and it did a good job... kept a powerstroke pulling a little u-haul trailer at bay. :D
Also took it and the jeep (no trailer) over the henry mountains (the only way in)... two foot of snow... breaking trail... coming out this morning, almost had to stay until spring :)

Do you like your Milemarker winch? I've got a 9k pound model on my jeep, it works great, use it most every time I go out... (is that good or bad?:D)

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had the oppurtunity to use it yet, I've only had it on for a couple of months. I do like the fact that it's hydraulic wont wear the batteries down. I should hope I'd never get the truck into a situation that I need the winch and the engine wont start...

Here in Washington, we've got two seasons... The rainy season and summer. I'd think that a sealed hydraulic motor would take more wet weather than a electric motor. I havent owned a winch before so I dont have any expirience with electrics, but being an maintenance electrician by trade, I've seen what our wet weather does to other electric motors outside.

I'm almost sure, but I havent tried it yet, that I could lift at least the front end of the truck off the ground with it. It's pretty stout and I'm sure it will last me as long as a Warn would given the amount I use it.

turbokid

Reaction score
I can guarantee (just about) that you'll love it when you use it.
Even if the truck wouldn't start, I would think an electric winch wouldn't go very far without the alternator to recharge the batteries. Although it probably would go reasonable distance...

I've never owned a winch before, either, but I've been around quite a few people with winches, and seen what a pain the electrics can be, especially of your battery and charging system are not in tip top shape.
My dad also was a heavy equipment mechanic and rig mechanic for 30 years, and among others, has some certifications in hydraulics, and he likes it.

The 9k winch I have hasn't let us down yet, I'm glad it hasn't.
We've had that jeep stuck in some very remote places in southeastern utah, and believe me, it would have been a very long walk out.
It always works perfectly.

Kickin Y2K

Reaction score
I've got a few 6.2s around, Uncle Sam used a lot of them in the CUCV series trucks and of course the HMMWV (humvee). Need to get some more power out of the one in my Humvee, that thing is a major dog.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple Charger makes a pretty nice blower for the 6.2 - and if you can afford the hummer, the whipplecharger oughta be pocket change... I believe there in Nevada somewhere - you might wanna check out their web page and give them a call.

I've got relatives in Nevada City and Grass Valley - gotta love that area of Kali....

Kickin Y2K

Reaction score
Ooh, now that's a cool idea! Might hafta do that. Thanks for the tip. Yep, it's a nice area, but it's sure getting crowded anymore :(

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last reply was April 18th???

Did everyone get rid of their 6.2's????

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Not everyone

There's a shop here in Oz that still uses the 6.2 as in install motor. He can make them run pretty good, with a 6.5 pump, and headers.

They sound pretty mean, too, with duals and reversed glasspacks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online