Use Mechanical Water temp gauge?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Can we use a mechanical water temp gauges in our diesels or is it a bad idea?
I have an Autometer mechanical 2 5/8 water temp gauge with a set of other Autometer gauges I used to run in my 79 Z28 for a few years, and they are just sitting right now. So Im thinking about putting it along with the other gauges in my moms green truck. But I got thinking, will the vibration of the engine eventually break the copper thermal tube?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Many use them, I prefer electrical, but that's just me. I would say leave a coil to dampen vibration and you'd be fine. I think my last SBC loped more than this truck vibrates! ;Sweet Of course, it had an electrical gauge on it. I had a mechanical rupture and catch fire in a drag car, looked like a mini torch and did about as much damage, so myself, I'll not use mechanical, but other have and have had good luck with them, even on the IDI's.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Is 240* high enough? What is the operating temp range of these engines?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
242 is when the "check engine" lite comes on so go up to 265. The bottom on mine is 100 and the lines are very close till you get up to 140. Then they spread out up to 180. Then they spread again till 230. Then its 240, 250, then 260 and a big spread from that to the end at 265. The gage is a 270 sweep Isspro R8632 with a 96 inch vacuum tube. Yes, its mechanical but I will be changing it to electrical. I have 2 of these gages and they both seem to read about 10 degrees cold.....:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just throw on the 240 one. Its at least more useful than the factory "idiot light" I'd call anytime you pegged that gauge unless it was because of an air bubble or you got very, very lucky the "you're screwed" area. My truck almost always runs in the 192-212 range, warms up fast and never goes much beyond that. The only time I really saw high numbers was with an air bubble after the oil cooler got rebuilt and once pulling the boat with AC on full blast in traffic I think I saw 230-235, rolled down the windows, turned the heat on, AC off and it was just a skosh over 210 before I knew it. getting out of the traffic jam helped too.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
In the back left corner of the right head looking at the engine there is a plug pull it and put it there. I have plumb a many there and all worked fine.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
have had my mechanical gages in there a couple of years and they have been fine, i to am upgrading mine to electrical also when i get to putting my piller in.