URGENT: OBS SPEEDO HELP!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Today i replaced the two burned out dash lights that i had. that went good. put everything back together. Go to start the truck up and pull it out of the garage to go to school and the speed is fine at idle but then when i start to move it will peg what ever the max is on these speedos. then when slowing down it will slow down at a normal speed then once the speedo gets to about 10 mph it just drops right to 0mph. by that time the truck is already stopped. all other gauges work just fine. i didn't unplug anything from the back of the cluster other than the light bulbs.

i noticed that my odometer reading now looks like it has some sort of "sploch" in it. kinda like liquid. never had that before today. i have read about not tipping these cluster face down as there is a liquid in them and it will leak out. this cluster never went close to face down today. has worked flawless leading up to now as well.

Does it sound like it is time for a new cluster? that would mean the ODO will be all screwed up as well to right?

Need help fast on this guys!

thanks for any input.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By any chance, did you lay the cluster face down when you took it out to install the light bulbs? I seem to recall that damage will occur when they are laid face down. i am sure somebody more knowledgeable than I will chime in here soon too.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
make sure the contacts are clean on the connectors and the printed/flexable board connection. I had to clean mine up with a little bit of scotchbrite, i had a wacky speedo.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its a digital reading mileage odometer, you can get just the PSOM, programmable speedometer/odometer module, and replace just the digital mileage reading meter...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
so let's say the one big connector on the back is good. other than that is it just buy a new speedo? what about the odometer reading then?

also, if it is something i did when doing the light bulbs, then how do i know what to not do when putting in a new speedo?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you replace to odometer with new from ford it should show 0 miles, if you get through junk yard then it will have whatever was on the vehicle when i hit the j/y.. i replaced mine on my 92 bronco a few years back and mileage went from showing 160k to almost 300k on the replacement one from the jy.. hated seeing it showing that kind of mileage..

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i just took a video of what it is doing. i will get it uploaded later today.

i took the cluster out and made sure the connections were tight/clean and everything is.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i got the circuit board off the back of the speedo gauge. i don't see anything out of place. tuesday when i was trying to put the PRNDL21 display back in i was putting it in wrong at first. so it pushed on the white strip thing that is for the odo readout and some of a couple of the points on the solder punctured threw it. i wonder if it kind of shorted something out so to speak.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
today i reconnected the speedo and test drove.........................IT WORKS!!!!! that thing with the ODO ribbon and prnd21 was the cause. the speedo works as it should and the odo also is nice and clear again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7