Upgraded torque converter

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
http://www.roadrunnerconverters.com/ford-transmission-torque-converters.htm

Anybody have any opinions on converters such as these ^^^^^^^^^^

Eyeing the "E40D, 4R100 TRIPLE CLUTCH" for $435 + $40 shipping.

Wasn't in the plan or the budget really for that matter, but with an engine out and a week or three from it going back it, the converter is just staring at me, daring me to upgrade it while it is a 10 minute job.

Anybody else have any good recommendations for decent converters? In similar price ranges as the one above? Less than $500 and no core charge is my goal. Craigslist that old one rather than core charge it...;Sweet

Thanks!

Black dawg

Reaction score
know any history of the trans? It would suck to put a 500 dollar converter in there and then have the trans fail and ruin it

jhenegh

Reaction score
I've put 7k miles on it, and likely half of that was snowplowing or towing. Hasn't given a lick of trouble. Only thing I've noticed it it can "shudder" if I tried to take off from a dead stop too fast with a heavy load. So I was kinda suspecting the TC with that.

Trans itself is a Ford Reman, it has the tag. Don't know how many miles on that trans in particular.

I'm the 4th owner of the truck. Owner 2&3 owned it for a collective 2 years, owner 1 was an old man. Owner 3 was trustworthy and good, and owner 1 evidently kept good/great care of his truck. Owner 2 seemed iffy based on owner 3's description, but his time with the truck was short.

I'd like to keep this 100% stock trans running longer is the basic goal, since this truck does do some good work and a bum trans makes no $$$ pushing snow.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ask them how they construct the converter. Brazed/welded and do they replace the washers with bearings. If you go the multi disk route. You will need to replace the converter regulator spring. They might provide that with the converter. If not, you can get it easy enough online or a tranny shop.

Price isn't bad for a multi disk converter.

jhenegh

Reaction score
If you go the multi disk route. You will need to replace the converter regulator spring. They might provide that with the converter. If not, you can get it easy enough online or a tranny shop.

Can you expand upon that/explain it a bit more? Looks like that spring is in the front pump?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I bought my BTS E4OD brom Brians Truck Shop Brian told me the reasons they install a triple disc converter. He said the factory converters work ok but they have 25 square inches of friction material and the triple disc he uses has get this.... 150 square inches of friction material:eek::thumbsup:. Maybe thats why his warranty is .. Any hp.. Any torque... No questions asked...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::sly

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
What where is this spring located. I pulled my trans and took it to trans shop but i didn't see a spring.

Its located in the pump. If you sent it out, have your tranny guy change it for you.

The reason for changing this spring is to increase the apply pressure to the clutch. With a stock spring your new converter is only a little better than the old one. By increasing the apply pressure you will get the most out of the clutch.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "E4OD-HD2" kit that i installed in log truck (the one between the Shift Kit and the Tugger) sports the spring your after as well.it's yellow in color.

Attachments

• b page 1.jpg
    b page 1.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 10

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IOnly thing I've noticed it it can "shudder" if I tried to take off from a dead stop too fast with a heavy load. So I was kinda suspecting the TC with that.

Are you sure your driveline angles are correct under load? If you don't have this shudder empty then you likely will have it under a heavy load. I don't think you can eliminate it under both conditions.

The previous owner of my truck put up with a shudder at take off since day one, said the dealer told him it was normal. After some measurements I put a 3/8" shim under my rear drive shaft carrier bearing. Eliminated the shudder at take off.

I recently lifted the rear few inches and had to make the shim stack about an inch thick to eliminate the shudder at take off. And I fully expect to have a shudder if I was to ever carry a heavy load, but I rarely do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online

Members online