Upgrade my IDI or buy a new truck?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
What you can do for power depends entirley on how far you want to go, its possible to match the power output of any stock truck made from the IDIs to current just a matter of what mods and cost. If you want to match current trucks youll need a DB4 pump, camshaft, headstuds and upgraded turbo beyond what has already been mentioned above. That said just doing what has already been mentioned (rember the pyro gauge!!) will get you into stock 7.3PSD territory power wise or just above.

Is there even such a thing as rust in LA? lol. thats a beautiful truck, heres my completely biased opinion. A new ecoboost with all the bells and whistles is maybe 40 gran? Then on top of that your insurance is going to be more, your not going to be able to work on it with ease(not sure if this is just rumour but i hear you cant even change your oil bc that voids the warranty but im not sure on that). And if your not going to pay cash for it youll have monthly bills on it, and i dont know about you but I think thats just uneeded stress. ive heard a straight piped ecoboost and if you closed your eyes youd think it was a stroker....no that doesn't have anything to do with what I just said but i thought Id include that. And for the psd it would be a smaller price tag than a brand new truck thats for sure but the parts on it would be hella pricey compared to the idis parts, and again more difficult to work on.....but thats just my opinion hopefully it helps you out

No way in hell would changing the oil void the warrenty....so long as you use the specfied parts you can do your own repairs on ANY vehciel without fear of voiding warrenty (figuring its done correctly, if they prove it was caused by incorrect repairs itll void it) per federal law. Now that said some things the average DIY mechanic wont have the tools to do so will have to be done by a shop (changing the tranny fluid on the current and past couple year F150s for example)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No way in hell would changing the oil void the warrenty....so long as you use the specfied parts you can do your own repairs on ANY vehciel without fear of voiding warrenty (figuring its done correctly, if they prove it was caused by incorrect repairs itll void it) per federal law. Now that said some things the average DIY mechanic wont have the tools to do so will have to be done by a shop (changing the tranny fluid on the current and past couple year F150s for example)
I've actually had multiple stealerships tell me that when asking about the warranty while looking at new cars and trucks.
Maybe just a scare tactic, but word for word, they've said changing the oil on my own would void it. :dunno:
Still some bullsh¡† IMO.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ppump 12 valve and nv4500 swap. You will never feel that 6000lbs behind you and because the fummins name resale value increases a good amount incase u want to sell.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kcostp, thanks for clearing that up. I do know they lifke to use any excuse to void your warranty tho, so in thinking if you do your own work and something goes wrong there going to be the first ones to point the finger at you

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advise on whether I should keep my IDI and upgrade it or buy a new truck. I have a stock 1994 7.3 IDI Turbo with 180k miles. I purchased this truck about 3 years ago to tow my rock crawler around. Over the last three years, I've become somewhat attached to it. It's very reliable and in great condition. The only downside to the truck is it's power. When I first started towing, it did okay with about 6,000lbs behind it. However, I recently upgraded to a heaver trailer so now it has to tow an extra 800lbs (6,800lbs total). The extra 800lbs really made a difference in towing performance. The truck feels quite sluggish, especially on any kind of grade. I see two choices, I can either invest into my current truck to add performance, or go out and buy a different truck (maybe a 7.3 powerstroke or a new F150 ecoboost). How much power can I realistically get out of an IDI with performance upgrades? Does it make financial sense to upgrade it or would I be better off buying a powerstroke? I really do love this truck, so if I could add quite a bit more power without spending an arm and leg, I would rather keep it. If I decide to keep it, what mods should I be looking at to get more power?

Here's some pictures of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Couple of questions:

a) what rear axle ratio is in your truck currently?

b) when was the last time you had it timed?

c) do you use any fuel additives?

I would agree with all the folks who chimed in on the injectors/pump, but start with the simple (read inexpensive) stuff. The difference between a truck with 3.55s and 4.10s is night and day when you are towing. If you don't drive your truck much without your trailer in tow, I would make sure you have a tall gear in it. If I was a betting man (and I am, I love to gamble) I would bet bet it's already got 4.10s in it as that seems to be a very common rear end ratio, but again it doesn't cost anything to check. Timing makes a big difference on an IDI. If you can get it timed locally, I'd do it for at least peace of mind (the required timing meter to time an IDI are kind of rare, but I'm sure somebody has one in LA). Lastly, I know you are towing a heavier trailer, but did you notice that your performance fell off late fall/early winter? Winter fuel up here in the NorthWest sucks big eggs. I notice some loss of power and noticably worse mileage on winter fuel up here. I don't know anything about California fuel, but if you aren't using additive, I would suggest a double dose of Power Service or Howe's. See how those things help you on your next tow.

In regards to the newer trucks: they are newer and some of them are pretty awesome. I have a two guys I work with who have the EcoBoost F150s. They are pretty freaking cool, capable of chirping the tires into second gear and knocking down 20 mpg's on the highway with your foot out of it. I will also say both those trucks were over 40 grand. I am the only one of my buddies who doesn't have a newer electronically controlled diesel. I ride in a 6 liter and several 7.3s every week for work/play and about once every two weeks I think I need one. I feel your pain in the towing department: I used to pull a car hauler with a race car every weekend, and my truck is normally aspirated :eek: But I always get to where I'm going, sometime just a little slower :D

Everything comes at a price. My buddies 6 liter is a power house, super comfy and does get 20 mpg pretty regularly on the highway. I also watched him put $3K into it when he got the dreaded EGR/oil cooler/drinking antifreeze symptoms about 6 months ago. It had 75K on it. His truck is perfect now, with all the correct mods to make it last forever. While he was buying the parts to fix his 6 liter, I was dumping his WMO in the fuel tank of my IDI. Like I said, everything comes at a price.

Good luck whatever you decide, and fyi: that is a great looking unmolested truck ;Sweet

dtrujillo63

Reaction score
a) what rear axle ratio is in your truck currently? You know where to place your bets, it has a 4.10 rear end.

b) when was the last time you had it timed? I've never had it timed, not sure if the last owner did. I'll search around to see if someone in my area has the proper tools to time it. Is the tool a proprietary tool that only works with an IDI?

c) do you use any fuel additives? Nope, I always thought those fuel additives were just gimmicks. I'll give it a try next time I tow.

After reading everyone's comments, it sounds like I should be able to get more than enough power out of my IDI. Like I said before, I'm in love with the truck so if it has potential, I rather keep it. I'm not looking for crazy power, I just want to be able to pull 7,000lbs with a payload of about 1,000lb comfortably.

Should the list below be more than enough to get me the power I want?

• Gauges (pyro meter, trans temp, and boost)
  • 3" downpipe w/ a 4" straight pipe exhaust
  • Refresh Injectors and fuel pump

Here's another picture of red riding hood. I don't have pictures of the interior, but it looks brand new. The previous owner really took care of it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are well on your way to get your truck to tow better. Don't bother getting your engine timed with a worn injection pump. You will just be wasting your money. You should, however, get your engine timed (8.5 degrees) when you have a new IP and injectors. I also recommend that you use a good fuel additive once you have the new parts in. The additives....whichever one you choose...will help the IP and injectors last longer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I think a cam would give plenty of new found umph. Plus new fuel system during cam swap, can you say vroom vroom whistle :peelout
94IDITURBO has it right.

dtrujillo63

Reaction score
Okay... the mods are on their way. I hope this investment pays off!

I just placed an order for the famous Moose Pump (Junior), BB injectors, Banks 3" DP, and a set of GlowShift gauges (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp). I'm crossing my fingers that this will give me the power that I'm looking for. :)

Grass Hauler

Reaction score
Awesome truck! Whew! bullet dodged there, good choice on keeping it. I pull 11k behind mine quite often and wouldn't be afraid of loading more on. Although I attest that to the 5spd and 4.10's but also has plenty under the hood to get the job done. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I got your pm message. I can help with the work your planning on doing. I know of a place that will time the engine but its expensive there. The place is almost in the corner of the 5 and 605 freeways in Downey ca. Its called diesel Tune... Mike is the owner. If you don't want to do this pump and injecter work they will do it for you but again.. They are expensive. At least give them a call but I feel you can do this work yourself with all the guidence given here. Just do not remove the injection pump gear cover. Thats the aluminum half round cover that the injection pump bolts too. I have the custom wrench to get those three nuts off the pump so it can be removed from the cover. I also have the socket for the drive bolts so the pump will disconnect from the drive gear...

vanet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advise on whether I should keep my IDI and upgrade it or buy a new truck. I have a stock 1994 7.3 IDI Turbo with 180k miles. I purchased this truck about 3 years ago to tow my rock crawler around. Over the last three years, I've become somewhat attached to it. It's very reliable and in great condition. The only downside to the truck is it's power. When I first started towing, it did okay with about 6,000lbs behind it. However, I recently upgraded to a heaver trailer so now it has to tow an extra 800lbs (6,800lbs total). The extra 800lbs really made a difference in towing performance. The truck feels quite sluggish, especially on any kind of grade. I see two choices, I can either invest into my current truck to add performance, or go out and buy a different truck (maybe a 7.3 powerstroke or a new F150 ecoboost). How much power can I realistically get out of an IDI with performance upgrades? Does it make financial sense to upgrade it or would I be better off buying a powerstroke? I really do love this truck, so if I could add quite a bit more power without spending an arm and leg, I would rather keep it. If I decide to keep it, what mods should I be looking at to get more power?

Here's some pictures of it.

That truck is a big piece of junk. You should definatly go out and buy a new truck.

And right before you do, SELL THAT ONE TO ME:sly

Your getting good advice, for A LOT les than a new truck, you can have yours outperforming any of the trucks you listed.

You would have to upgrade to a fairly new diesel, and then chip it to get the kind of performance you can get out of an IDI, with just a couple of thousand in upgrades. Plus it sounds like you would be happy with yours after just doing the maint. Good luck

dtrujillo63

Reaction score
I got your pm message. I can help with the work your planning on doing. I know of a place that will time the engine but its expensive there. The place is almost in the corner of the 5 and 605 freeways in Downey ca. Its called diesel Tune... Mike is the owner. If you don't want to do this pump and injecter work they will do it for you but again.. They are expensive. At least give them a call but I feel you can do this work yourself with all the guidence given here. Just do not remove the injection pump gear cover. Thats the aluminum half round cover that the injection pump bolts too. I have the custom wrench to get those three nuts off the pump so it can be removed from the cover. I also have the socket for the drive bolts so the pump will disconnect from the drive gear...

I definitely plan on doing the work myself... and if you're willing to help, even better! I'm near the 10 and the 710. I was also planning on getting typ4's "torque" cam and ARP studs but I figured that would be way too much work and probably something I'm not comfortable doing myself. I called Diesel Tune and they want $100 for a timing job, not sure if that's considered expensive...

Thank you to everyone who replied, you guys provided me with a lot of good information. I'm glad I decided on upgrading it, I just hope it provides me with enough power at the end of the day.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a good price from diesel tune. About 4 years back they charged me $120.00 and I told Mike what I wanted. I wanted 9.5 btdc... What I got was 8.5 plus or minus 2 degrees...:eek::mad: I had it set right before I left thats for sure... The plus or minus is a factory standard... Just not happening with me. I'm located 5 miles from the 5 and 605 so I know where you are. I grew up not far from where you are many years back too. Know all the 710 continuation issues too....

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Okay... the mods are on their way. I hope this investment pays off!

I just placed an order for the famous Moose Pump (Junior), BB injectors, Banks 3" DP, and a set of GlowShift gauges (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp). I'm crossing my fingers that this will give me the power that I'm looking for. :)

Sounds like a good Plan, Looking forward to seeing it done. I assume you are going with a better exhaust system as well, 3.5" to 4" Straight pipe is all you need. At the very least, loose the muffler,..