Update

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, I was wondering where you were and when you where going to post up about your rebuild.

Man, I'm excited to hear it's up and running well for the last 5K. That's great news. Enjoy the truck buddy.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Heath

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the very usefull information I was going to order head gaskets next week for my 7.3 I'm so glad I asked theses questions! The info on this site is amazing !!!!!!! Thanks again :D:hail:D:hail

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another opinion why not run a 7.3l gasket and just use a gasket punch in the hole they still have the silicon ring around that spot? And the top water ports in the gasket have small little holes do you leave them small or enlarge them to Match the block for more flow?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Another opinion why not run a 7.3l gasket and just use a gasket punch in the hole they still have the silicon ring around that spot? And the top water ports in the gasket have small little holes do you leave them small or enlarge them to Match the block for more flow?

I wandered about that also……

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

why modify something to work when you can go buy what you need ready to install?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Hmm glad you got it back on the road and enjoying it. Did the machine shop help you out with costs or anything or were you out a whole new rebuild again?

Also good fruit for thought on the whole 6.9 hg on the 7.3; glad I ran across this.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There are several reasons for using the 6.9 gasket on the 7.3. Mostly its already made so you don't have to drill, cut or punch thru the gaskets. I don't think you or I can make a good enough hole in the gasket the size it has to be without damageing the gasket. Just the thought of attempting this only to find out a few weeks or months you ruined the gasket is not my idea of trying to fix something thats already done for us. But I'm still looking at these ideas and not just writing them off because they are not my ideas..:D:angel:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was talking to Jim yesterday. He had a no start issue.. No fuel to the filter and had just switched fuel tanks back to front when the truck died... So we worked thru all the switching valve and low fuel or alge ideas when I asked him to place a gallon fuel can under the mechanical lift pump to suck from... Well no fuel would pick up so I suggested he put his thumb over the pump suction side hose and feel for it sucking when the engine was cranking... Nope.. Nothing. Now it was electric or manual... He went with another manual pump... Now this manual that went bad was from international and it was around $110.00...:eek::mad: Its about 6 months old too so he is going to take it back and see what they will do for him.. I told him if they tell him to pound sand then he needs to never buy from them again if thats possible. But don't go in there angry. Only get even after they try to send you packing...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Thanks again gary!!!!!

So the lift pump went bad and yes I did replace it with a NAPA pump. Good news though. I took the old pump back to International today and I hope to get my money back once they send it off and test it and what not. So I really dont know what to do now. If OEM fuel pumps are junk, then A.. what other parts are junk. and B.. I suppose Ill get an electric pump.

As far as the costs for the re-rebuild... Russ helped me out with the valves that got bent and Delta Cam sent me the replacement cam free of charge.

The machine work wasnt too bad. The big expense was boring the cylinders, checking all the specs, resurfacing the flywheel, etc.

So yes it was an expensive lesson, but I chose to go ahead a start fresh and rebuild it while I was in there.