up pipe doesnt fit

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an old Sidewinder kit off an automatic and the up pipe wont clear my zf. Any suggestions

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surgery. I took it to an exhaust guy and we cut out the part that goes past the trans, and welded in a bent piece. Cost less than having the whole thing remade. Make sure you leak test unless you really trust the shop. Mine wouldn't make any boost it was so bad.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Are you good with a grinder, torch and creativity?

I recently taught myself to use oxy-acetylene to weld. From what I gather in my expirence...it's a WAY stronger, less porous weld and it's not that hard to do when you get good.

I am going to attack my turbo setup next weekend once I get my hands on a flange gasket. My collector pipes on my Y pipe are SHOT and I need to get rid of that ticking sound as well as exhaust fumes in the cab when sitting at red lights.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, I would take it to a well trusted exhaust shop. Make sure they are reputable though....I have seen some pretty scary cold welds come from places like Midas, Speedy, etc.

I wish I lived closer to some of you guys....I LOVE doing stuff like this.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn was hoping for a way to alter the Trans case or some one that had a zf up. Pipe that wanted an e4od one

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you cut the ear off the ZF5? There is an cast in tap/ear that's going to be in the way and it needs to go. Also, gotta move the lip on the firewall up and out of the way. Will find some photos and post them in a bit.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got that all done its the up pipe is on the bell housing and won't line up with pedestal and y pipe. I worked on it yesterday a bit and its just not goin to clear and fit right without changing the bends. I didn't realize therre was a difference between the zf bell housing and the autos. Thought they were around the same size

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't the pedestals different between the new style and the old style? Mine has 3 bolts that hold it to the back of the passenger side head

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a schematic from banks today of my turbo kit and it shows the up upie being on the right side of the transmission. Is that the difference between the manual and automatic kits between these trucks or is it just a revision of the kit? Does anyone have a zf truck with the up pipe on the left side??

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The ZF has a trans specific up pipe for the non gated Banks units. As said, off to the exhaust shop ya go.

MKD

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my ZF, I even ordered the "correct" up pipe and y pipe from banks( very expensive ). I've yet to be able to get it to line up right. Took the dash apart and cut a hole in the firewall to get it to fit, no luck. Where I live there is no exhaust shop for about 230 miles around so I've had to do what I could with it. I'm looking real seriously at moving the turbo to that space on the drivers side of the engine bay then just run pipes over the motor. The fit between the motor and the firewall is just too tight to do much with.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got my new up pipe done today. Had a local place here in lima(Benroths) make it up for me and install it and the y pipe. They did an excellent job. And hope to have the rest of it together next week and thanks again for all your guys help.