universal fuel tank selevtor valve

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, is there any way to open the stock valve up and clean it so it keeps working or is it possible to instal ball valves to switch it manualy?

You Can...

I think Agnem made a post about this a month or so ago, do a search for it or maybe he will post it up for you. I dont remember the exact thread title.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock valve is riveted together. I just replaced one (with a factory part) at the IDI Weekend rally, and I'll try to take it apart at some point. That parts america one would probably do the job, but the plug is not a match for the 80's vintage stuff.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
From what I saw when I took mine apart, I don't think it is so much that it is clogging up, but the poor motor is burning out. It is a small electric motor in there that spins move the selectors in and out for the different tanks. At some point it is just going to spin it's last. You might be able to replace the motor, but it would be some what hard to get an exact match I would guess. Here are the pictures from inside my old one: http://wwwabbit.com/pictures/fuelselector/

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I took mine out and sent some voltage to it. The motor seems to spin fine both ways but one direction it doesn't completely seal off any one of the three feed ports. Took it apart put it back together and re installed it and it still only sucks from the rear tank. I can hit the switch and hear the motor run but still no good so I guess its just partialy damaged enough not to work.

I assume you have to cut hoses to use the replacement universal valve? Is it worth it to go to a junk yard and look for a factory one?

Thanks,
-Rob

94johnh

Reaction score
The stock valve is riveted together. I just replaced one (with a factory part) at the IDI Weekend rally, and I'll try to take it apart at some point. That parts america one would probably do the job, but the plug is not a match for the 80's vintage stuff.

Mel what was the factory part #

john

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Borg Werner makes one that works. I have one in the 83 that I just bought. Dont know where they got it from but could ask.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
One of the member here (midnightrider) posted not long ago about one that is manual and seems to hold pretty good (from napa maybe) although the factory ones last a long time too.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Echelin valve from NAPA, it needed its own wiring connector which had to be special ordered to wire into the trucks harness. I installed it and no go...no gauges switch nothing. Then I had my mechanic friend help me with wiring it in..it worked better, read for the front gauge but still wouldn't switch. i wound up, with a lot of friendly phone advice from Travis, wiring in my own rocker switch and used a fused switched wire from the battery to power it...now I KNOW it has power and it has worked flawlessly since I got all the bugs worked out of it. The manual valve midnight rider describes would probably be foolproof, but he put a lot of work into it...almost sounded like it would be really hard.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so..i know old thread..but i figured better than creating a new thread..anyone used the universal tank valve from autozone, its a duralast, but has pollak stamped onthe side, like the one that came out of truck..i have the harness already just need a diagram to wire it in..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726