"Undetermined Leak"

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new, undetermined leak on the Ex. I parked the truck, in my driveway, which is fairly steep, and I noticed evidence of a leak under the front of the truck. I crawled under there yesterday, and what I have found is, the drip is coming off one of the steering links. (I know it is not the link that is leaking). Looking above the link, the frame crossmember is wet, and further up, there is a slight trail along the drivers side of the block behind the crank pulley. I am not loosing any fluid in any measureable amount. I believe it is coolant, and is probally coming from the water pump. (Can't see the water pump as we all know). Does this sound reasonable. There is no noticeable change in the truck, and I have just driven it almost 1000 miles in the last 2 weekends.

If it is the waterpump, is this a repair that I will have to cut the fan shroud in two? Do I get to it from the bottom, or the top easier? Where to get the replacement pump. I have no problem going to Ford and paying a little extra if that means that I dont have to "fix it" again for a very long time. I can get a lifetime pump for less, but if I am having to change it on a regular basis, the for price is worth it.

I have 91k on the truck, and I am going to drain and replace the coolant while I am at it, and plan on installing a coolant bypass filter.

Anything I am missing, any ideas.... please let me know......

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Me voting water pump as you already know. But not knowing the layout of yer truck engine me just guessing....

when you get ready... give me a call buddy.... I'll be there....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Me voting water pump as you already know. But not knowing the layout of yer truck engine me just guessing....

when you get ready... give me a call buddy.... I'll be there....

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
was it after being parked overnite after a cold snap ?

My 03 ex did that too, iirc, there was a recall.... might check with your dealer....

being in Texas, it didn't bother me too much, only got cold enough once or twice to see it...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it was. I normally park it in the garage. I left it out in the driveway and I noticed it a couple of different days. It was colder those days than it had been. I will have to check into that with the dealer.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, Does anyone have the IH part number for the Water Pump, or know of a good cross reference? I would like to get a price from them before I decide where to get the pump....