UHaul Van Engine - No heat

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed there is no heat coming out of the heater core. The engine had plugs on the head/water pump so I removed them and put the barbs on for the heater - I'm wondering if something else is disabled or maybe a bad/wrong tstat could cause all the heat to circulate through radiator only?

Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you check that barbed fitting thats in the head for a plugged. they have a very small opening in them. No way are they as large as the hose that they connect to. Might feel the hose to see if its hot going to the heater and cool returning to the water pump. I have no idea what thermostat u haul was installing but it might be the only thing left to check too. If the engine reaching warmed up temps.. Usually a new bore has a lot of heat being made from the rings wearing in to the cylinders.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Could be a broken diverter valve. Could be the engine is not getting up to temp. Are you checking while driving or with the van sitting at idle? These engines will happily idle for hours and not get hot. They really need to be under load to warm up.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a loop around town where i can get going pretty good, im running without a fan, old one was locked up. All of the exhaust is coated so underhood temperatures are much lower.

The loop on the old engine was enough to get things nice and hot, i was feeling zero heat. When i put the barb in the head i cleaned it and there was no blockage but there was crap in the block. I had to clean out about a teaspoon of crap on the oil cooler alone.

I will try it again today after i try to do the power steering upgrade to saginaw. The c2 puked its guts out everywhere...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a newly refubihed saginaw, gotta either fab it onto my old bracket or find a junkyard van.

How reuseable is the thermostat, m old engine would cook me out of the cab on high.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I see no problem using the thermostat from the old engine. It will work fine.. I curious whats in the new engine from uhaul...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper radiator just blew off. BANG.-cuss-cuss-cuss:shoot::fan:-Flame Thr;Pissed

Felt a little heat in the heater core line from the head, none in the other line. Radiator was pretty cold and engine was warm. Pretty sure the thermostat is the culprit, right?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also exhaust looks clean, i highly doubt its head gaskets but i could be wrong.

Or maybe airlock?

Going to see if the old engines' thermostat is anygood then try to swap them and refill. Probably going to need to buy more coolant :puke:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt see ford or international on either thermostats. One said FOS i think, the other i forgot

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check valve was covered in crap and stuck, looks like someone used a too long hose piece and it couldnt move at all. So i popped it out and cleaned the ball like new, the port it goes in, and shortened the hose. New IH thermostat, perfectly clean mating surfaces, blew the crap out of the head hole, and installed the high idle sensor thing in the head after snapping an extension (those damn plugs are tough to get out).

Filled the truck up with AF, started it up and the heater core is back to blowing hotter than hell. Looks like that means all the air is bled so I guess I will go on another test drive :dunno

---
took her for a spin, radiator and heater core both got warm this time...
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
. The picture of hose barb is off the old engine, the uhaul one looked worse :confused:. Don't know where that pic went. I cleaned it up with a metal edge and then wire wheel and the block until both were smooth and clean. And popped out that rubber hose and ball, cleaned the ball and used dremel with plastic wire bit to clean the hole out and then shaved some hose off so it would move freely like it did on the old engine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online