Uh Oh!

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought this 6.9 back in November. PO had an ATS turbo kit installed, pyro, and all the good stuff. well i decided i should see if they ever had it studded...well from what i heard when you look for the bolts by the the valve covers, they should look like normal 6point nuts, well these have like 8 points or somethin like that. kinda has me worried now. they had ran this truck for years with this setup and never had issues. They are an older couple who are family friends, so i know the past of this truck and it has always ran good. Am i missing something ? Will I be okay with the stock studs or should i get some arp's now? this is my daily driver too.:rolleyes:

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to worry too much, it's not like you're just going to blow a head gasket all the sudden. My truck still has the stock head bolts, and I have the non-wastegated Banks turbo from the late 80's. My truck also doesn't even have a boost gauge installed. It might sound like a recipe for disaster. The truck does leak a little oil and I suspect some of it could be seepage from the heads on the back cylinders, but it's not something I am going to address until it becomes a bigger problem. I have put 15k miles on my truck since I got it and I haven't had anything happen yet.

I have to admit that I was concerned a little when I first started reading threads. What eases my worries a little is that my truck was previously used to tow a 5th wheel cross country and what not. In that respect I think the stock head bolts have held up pretty well all things being equal. If I ever did blow a head gasket, however, I would most definitely have studs installed as well as consider a wastegated turbo like the Banks Sidewinder. I say just keep driving your truck and deal with any issues if and when they arise. Believe me, there are a lot of things I would like to do to my truck, but given how infrequently I drive it, it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on it. That is why I rather wait until something like headgaskets becomes a problem to fix it. Others might feel differently, choosing to install studs before it ever becomes an issue. If had the money and a place to do it (house instead of apartment) I might actually take that route. It all depends on your situation and how you plan to use your truck.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would drive it until you had another reason to tear into it. Just watch it and don't be too mean to it. Know the boost limits and the sign of a blown head gasket.

Might even start gathering parts to do the job, so if it lets go it's not as big of a wallet hit.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock head bolts are 12 pt not 8 or something LOL and 7/16" diameter bolts for a 6.9, a 7.3 has 12 point bolts 1/2" diameter...

If you see bolt heads and not threads sticking up then it's NOT studded and dead stock, that's ok just don't crank it up and or crank on it...it's likely just fine.

Later in life if a HG goes you can stud it then..but I wouldn't until you had an issue needing to be repaired.

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be nice to actually know what the exhaust temp is by installing a pyro and then a boost gauge so you can limit the boost your pushing. Without these items your really driving blind. As for studding the engine now.. I'm with others here. Drive it till it needs studs. Glad your taking care of this rig too. Also nice to know the po took care of it and worked the rig.

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is already pyro gauge just havent hooked up boost yet. BTW this engine has less than 60k miles on, it was completely overhauled before i bought it

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be nice to actually know what the exhaust temp is by installing a pyro and then a boost gauge so you can limit the boost your pushing. Without these items your really driving blind. As for studding the engine now.. I'm with others here. Drive it till it needs studs. Glad your taking care of this rig too. Also nice to know the po took care of it and worked the rig.

I remember when my HG blew on the way to California, damn thing sounded like a pressure cooker. Remember Gary, you came down to SD to check it out for me.