U-Turns/Turning radius!!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, anything with a CV shaft front axle cannot turn as tight. I don't know if there is any reason for this or not or if my general impression is even remotely correct beyond what I've seen.

Rav4 in the family has a shorter wheel base than the ranger but has a wider turning circle. The saturn is even shorter and is only just comparable.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
weld the rear up also. makes it better. goes aroumd much quicker. i surprise alot of people when my ford starts whipping donuts. lol
Try the welded diff with a dually tho, it's much more interesting - I used to need 5 lanes of traffic (two in each direction plus a center turning lane or a wide median) to make a U-turn, now with the LSD I'm down to 4 lanes ;Sweet If I didn't have the bumper I have it would only need 3 lanes tho, as I have some braces that limit my tires turning angle (I welded them on with the truck up in the air, they cleared just fine them lol). This with reg cab truck, you guys with the crews are really quite screwed. Odd thing, my friend's dad F600 with a crew cab and western hauler bed (so kinda like RLDSL's truck, only much bigger) seems to be able to turn very tight, the front wheels on this go damn near sideways when you crank the wheel all the way.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
thats the way our 2003 f650 is here at work. i can do a u turn on a 2 lane road and not touch the grass.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one of my favorite features of the Moosestang. It can turn around in its own length. ;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have a REALLY fun time when I bring the truck home from work. The yellow dually is gone, but the red one is still here. It's a rolling chassis now, with the back axle and good tires under it.

But with the Buick, the Pontiac and dad's Dodge I have a HELL of a time turning around and backing into the garage where that old purple S10 is now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here all the while I've been hiding my hulks in the back of the house. I'll ask the wife if I can put them out front like the Canadians do. :sly

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The F600 and the like have narrower frames and a wider wheel base then pick ups, that is why they turn so much better

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my solution good turbo and a stroker kit
when its cold out the stroker will break the rears loose to cut better the turbo should make it do it in summer too

94F350Fred

Reaction score
Well I took y-alls advice! I got in the median... waited till traffic cleared up and as soon as the wheels had a chance to turn a few rotations I slammed on the diesel and turned the wheels! Worked great!!! :peelout I pulled a not so text book like U-turn but it worked.

I haven’t done that in a long long time and figured I give it a try after it was so highly recommended. Thanks I think I have saved a few bucks on mods!

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I took y-alls advice! I got in the median... waited till traffic cleared up and as soon as the wheels had a chance to turn a few rotations I slammed on the diesel and turned the wheels! Worked great!!! :peelout I pulled a not so text book like U-turn but it worked.

I haven’t done that in a long long time and figured I give it a try after it was so highly recommended. Thanks I think I have saved a few bucks on mods!

Just don't let the cops see you doing that. Or it will cost you more then the mods.:D

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
On 4x4 trucks, there's a stop on the knuckle, behind the axleshaft and on the lower part, not too far from the key that holds the brake caliper in place. I've never tried this, but supposedly, you can tighten this stop up (it's a hex head) and thus increase your turning radius...

most the time the lock nut is welded to the bolt. not a big deal as you just un thread the entire thing and replace with a bolt and nut. but when i did this (because i was missing one so i replaced both) my truck will turn right like normal but when i turn sharp left the truck gets to a point where its turning left turning left then all of a sudden wants to snow plow straight. this is after my 4" suspension lift and a full alignment. i have been to lazy to go move the stop out a couple threads and see if that helps