Typical home-brewed bio gel point

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper Jeeper
Ever have the bio clean out your tank and the filter then plug. As far as you know if it might have been that "crud" from the tank.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper Jeeper
Ever have the bio clean out your tank and the filter then plug. As far as you know if it might have been that "crud" from the tank.

I guess I've been really lucky. I've run my F250 and my MB 300CD thousands of miles on home made bio, and have not experienced any unusually high rate of filter clogging or anything. Just normal filter changes.

I haven't ever experienced any fuel gelling either, but this is the first winter I'm trying to run B100. Last year I didn't run anything with more bio in it than B50.

Interesting thing happened Saturday morning though. I was transferring some of my recently collected WVO from cubies (that's how I pick it up) into 55 gallon drums (that's how I transport it to my buddy's house for brewing bio) and I could see the raw WVO was just starting to gel.

I figure if the raw oil is just barely starting to gel at temps in the low 30's, my bio - especially with a healthy dose of PowerService anti-gel - ought to be good down into the low teens...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
WOW! Adding PS to B50 @ 59 degrees ambient temps? You're being REALLY cautious, huh?

Like I said I've been running home brew B100 at temps in the low 30's and haven't even added anything to it yet - though I think I better pretty soon...

Well the mix I run needs all the help it can.......:sly

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper Jeeper
Thats interesting about the wvo just starting to get at those temps. Glad you guys can run that high of bio-diesel for most of the winter.
Since you've been running bio-diesel, in any vehicle, did you change any of the fuel lines & such because of the "corrosiveness??" of bio-diesel?
Have you ever run wvo before you process it?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheaper Jeeper
Since you've been running bio-diesel, in any vehicle, did you change any of the fuel lines & such because of the "corrosiveness??" of bio-diesel?
Have you ever run wvo before you process it?

I started out running bio blends in my first F250 (up to B20) and never had an issue. Same with the MB, and with the F250 I have now.

The MB had new return lines put on it by the guys I bought it from. They specialize in bio & WVO vehicles (GreenEye Motors in Eugene OR). So it was pretty much B100 ready when I got it. I replaced the return lines on my F250 shortly after I got it, just because they were getting old and looking cracked, so they haven't been an issue either. So far so good...

I have not run any WVO. I have run some ****** vegetable oil in my MB in the heat of the summer time, but I didn't want to convert to a 2 tank system, and that's realy the only safe way to do it long term IMO, so I stopped doing even that.

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the feedback from several sources indicates that the addatives that keep petro diesel from clouding won't work for Bio - the chemistrys are too different. Has anybody tried Technol B100? Its supposed to be specifically formulated to improve cold temp properties of B100.

I mixed 5 gallons D2 with 15 gallons B100 when I refilled the tanks today. B75 that doesn't gell up on me is better than B100 that leaves me stranded I guess...

jds1966mustang

Reaction score
I used to make alot of bio, just stick it in the freezer and keep checking it every 15 mins. When it starts to cloud check the temp (That will tell you what you want to know). Alot easier to get your blend to the temp of your area. I could use a double shot of PS with 75% bio 25% petro and stay good and liquid to mid teens. Better to do a freezer test than a no start cold morning test!

jds1966mustang

Reaction score
I would sell my bio stuff is someone is interested. I have started using straight veggy. I have the setup to make 110 gallon batches every 8 hours. I would yield 100 gallons. My setup is home made but works great. I sent my fuel to a lab once and they was really interested in how I was getting such a complete reaction. Bio was good just dont have the time to make it. If interested let me know.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well, the feedback from several sources indicates that the addatives that keep petro diesel from clouding won't work for Bio - the chemistrys are too different. Has anybody tried Technol B100? Its supposed to be specifically formulated to improve cold temp properties of B100.

I mixed 5 gallons D2 with 15 gallons B100 when I refilled the tanks today. B75 that doesn't gell up on me is better than B100 that leaves me stranded I guess...
I've got to find that demo a bio dude did here in NC.....

Ok I found the test but no pictures..... here

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Bio fuel pics

Here are a pics of a couple of jars of bio I have sitting outside. The first pic was taken at -6C. The second at -10C. They are two different batches from the same producer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bbjordan,
Do you know what difference there is between the two samples.
Right side looks like lard, left side looks like actual biodiesel.
And, did you leave the samples out overnight??
I like seeing any kind of fuel in "real world" settings, not what someone says or thinks it does in a lab.:puke:

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't live in a cold weather area. But you can always get a sample of your B100 and leave it out on the porch and see at what point it clouds and then at what point it gels if at all in your area. One of the best ways to lower the gel point has always been to just add some winter diesel to it. Bear in mind that the veggie oil that the B100 is made from will also affect the point at which the B100 will cloud and gel at.

biodiesel produced from low erucic acid varieties of canola seed (RME) starts to gel at approximately −10 °C (14 °F). Biodiesel produced from tallow tends to gel at around +16 °C (61 °F). There are a number of commercially available additives that will significantly lower the pour point and cold filter plugging point of pure biodiesel. Winter operation is also possible by blending biodiesel with other fuel oils including #2 low sulfur diesel fuel and #1 diesel / kerosene.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Cold filtered. No wait...unfiltered.

Not really sure what the difference is between the batches. My understanding is that they are both made from Canola oil. The darker stuff is from a later batch and the stuff in the jar is from the bottom of the barrel. The cold seems to have helped it settle out. Kind of like ice filtered beer. Mmmm...beer...-Drool

Some more pics: +7 today.

Remember... filter, filter, filter.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Not really sure what the difference is between the batches. My understanding is that they are both made from Canola oil. The darker stuff is from a later batch and the stuff in the jar is from the bottom of the barrel. The cold seems to have helped it settle out. Kind of like ice filtered beer. Mmmm...beer...-Drool

Some more pics: +7 today.

Remember... filter, filter, filter.

is that 7c?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat