twisted slip yoke

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i have my drive shaft out from changing the clutch, but the slip yoke doesnt move at all and i cant beat it apart. i guess i twisted the splines?

i have a reg cab long box zf5 2wd that the shaft is out of. i have a ex cab long bed 4x4 that the shaft is good in. i measured both and the twisted one is 42" and the one in the 4x4 is 40" but no splines are showing so it should have some slip to it. what do you guys think about putting the shaft from the 4x4 in place.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Yeah... it is rare to damage the slip section.... maybe from debris?

If yours is not moving at all... I would guess that yours rusted in one place from lack of lube. Hard to say without seeing it.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
mine doesnt have the zerk fitting and i beat on it with a BFH and sprayed in penetrating lube to no avail. i tried the driveshaft out of the other truck i got but the u joints were different sizes so i just put the same shaft back in the truck. not sure what else i can do.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
This is kinda redneck... but I would jack up the rear end as high as possible... then drop it onto the tires hard... it might break it free

Is there visible rust where there should be grease?

The above trick will work better with ballast in the bed. Of course try at your own risk.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
ok good idea, ill try heating it up and then dropping my trailer on it or something. it is not rusty at all. i doubt the PO ever greased it though.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
if it is not rusty... then it might be twisted... <shrug>

not sure how to address it then... I guess the same approach?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
ok good idea, ill try heating it up and then dropping my trailer on it or something. it is not rusty at all. i doubt the PO ever greased it though.

Probably rusted inside. They get moisture/dirt/salt in there and it does funky things. Heating the outside will expand it and break the bond. Some have a rubber type seal on the end to help contain the grease though, so be careful about how much heat and where. I'd heat it and rap it on the side while rolling it over so it's heated and rapped on all the way around.