Twin turboing, and turbos...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to reinvent the wheel in this dept. A moderately boosted single is good enough for me. BTW aren't you trying to sell your truck?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I do not believe that boost pressure is additive. Two turbos, each putting out 6 psi will just give 6 psi and twice the volume of a single 6 psi turbo.
The only value I can see to twin turbos might be an easier installation--one small turbo at each exhaust header. They would spin up faster than a larger, single unit, so you might get better throttle response. But quick throttle response in a diesel is not usually required.
If you fabicate up some plumbing for this, I'd like to see it.

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
jcfb said:
Yeah I am, but I'm just toying with the idea of twin turbos. My truck is still getting worked on while it's for sale.

Sequencial turbos are the proper manner to run twins. As mentioned, twins in parallel might plumb up easier, but as for lasting longer than a single, that won't apply. Unless your wanting to bomb your engine out of existence with high boost( :backoff ), sequencials in series when properly mapped and configured will provide better overall performance in all conditions off idle up to max load/rpm's. That I believe is what the big engine manufacturers are focused on. It is extremely hard to configure one turbo to handle all induction conditions and maintain high efficiency and life. ;Really
If you want reasonable, low cost performance just install one of the three popular kits. :Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the best way to do twin turbos would be with a divided custom intake, that way you could run the engine like it was two four cylinder engines.