Tutorial/FAQ on reseating injectors with new washers & o-rings?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Is there a pictorial review on how to replace caps, copper washers and o-rings for a 6.9/7.3 IDI somewhere?

Does anyone have the p/n for the copper washers?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should come in the injector kits me and Sam showed you in the other thread. I have some floating around, I can measure them up for you if you'd like.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its real simple. You just want to get the injector bore as clean as it can be with a clean shop rag and a shop vac unless you're real picky then you could go the extra mile and use an injector bore cleaner or shotgun barrel cleaning brush. The main thing is not to let any dirt fall into the cylinders or contaminate the new injs. If you bought new or reman injectors I bet they already come with coppers and maybe orings too. You'll want to add some anti seize compound on the injector threads and some grease or vaseline or better yet white lithium grease on the injector orings and caps to help them seal. Once you have everything set you don't want to bump or disturb them. The injectors themselves book spec 35 ft-lbs of torque but if you don't have a torque wrench just a quarter to 1/2 turn past snug is about right.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I figure there's no way in Hades that I'm going to be able to get an of these parts locally, less even on a Sunday - :(

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Ok got all the passenger side injectors out. They look pretty good - they're stanadyne and someone put a 1-99 with an engraver on the barrel which means they were rebuilt then. Don't think the injectors have been out since then :)

There's the standard dirt/crud stuff. I cleaned the outside really well before pulling them.

I went into my safe and grabbed the 12ga bore brush and short handle. My question is:

How do I clean the bore without having the crud fall into the chamber below? The crud is diesely grease crud and won't easily vacuum.

I figure I can get a cloth saturated with acetone or turpentine in there but it won't get stuff off like a brass brush will.

How to do it?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you can do is your best. The though is clean with brush then use a vacuum cleaner to suck it out. Now another thought, if you have access to air is to get a dowel that'll fit in the injector hole(1/4 inch?). place in hole then blow with air real good then remove dowel and vacuum. Repeat if necessary.