Turning up IP primary pressure?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should check it with the glow plug connected. Takes a little bit of a trick with a thin strand of wire to do it, but not a biggie. You should see around 6 to 7 volts at the #2 cylinder glow plug on a cold engine initially, climbing towards 11 as they heat. As long as your battery voltage stays around 12 volts, this would indicate you have a healthy set of glow plugs.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should check it with the glow plug connected. Takes a little bit of a trick with a thin strand of wire to do it, but not a biggie. You should see around 6 to 7 volts at the #2 cylinder glow plug on a cold engine initially, climbing towards 11 as they heat. As long as your battery voltage stays around 12 volts, this would indicate you have a healthy set of glow plugs.

i had some extra glow plugs that i know were good so i disconnected the gp connector to the #2 gp (leaving the gp in there) and connected the extra one to the wire, and used a vice grip to ground it to the engine.
i activated the gp's and after a few seconds i could see the gp get red hot.

i have not done this test on all 8 but i will. i suspect the results will all be the same. It sure seems like a glow plug issue but this test seems to rule that out.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the timing marks look like this on the IP or close to it. The lighter mark is on the IP toward the passenger side, darker on the mounting flange,

on mine, the timing lines are amost identically lined up. I put the pump on myself (over a year ago) and did not know how to time the pump so i just lined them up. So, the timing could very well be less-than-ideal. But, if that affects starting why would the problem have just occured within the last month or so?

thanks,
Paul

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on mine, the timing lines are amost identically lined up. I put the pump on myself (over a year ago) and did not know how to time the pump so i just lined them up. So, the timing could very well be less-than-ideal. But, if that affects starting why would the problem have just occured within the last month or so?

thanks,
Paul

Don't know, but just had to ask. It's all a matter of elimination.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
OK, this is just a theoretical, shoot from the hip, knee-jerk response to the symptoms and I assure you that I'm no diesel guru, BUT- more than anything else, it sounds like something in your fuel system is gelled or solid when cold (no smoke, right?) but when on the heater, or a hot restart from running, it starts fine... Maybe a backflush is in order?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online