Turning down a moose pump

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question is, will a full moose pump turn down to anywhere near a stock pump. Does turning it down have any efficiency conflicts by making it do something it's not designed for. With it in stock (moose pump) configuration I only get about 12.5 mpg loaded with my pop up camper. That's with a sidewinder, bb's, timed to around 9, f350 4x4. Exact same camper set up with a well worn motor, assortment of injectors, timed by ear and no turbo got 15.5 in the same driving conditions. I'm wanting to know if turning the pump down is recommended. I would just ask Mel but thought someone else might be interested

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Talking to Mel is the best idea. I did turn down my first Moose pump but I had talked to Mel lots about doing it. It will change the way the pump was designed to deliver fuel at certain points in the fuel curve. I did this back in 2007 thru 2009. I went to far and had the heat soak issues so I had some bottled water handy for those hard starting times. Happend once on my way to the 2009 rally where I helped Mel install another Moose pump on my engine. We both thought I had allowed some dirt in when I was turning down the fuel. Mel contacted me some time later to tell me what he found when that pump was opened up. Not a thing was wrong with the pump. It was me turning down the fuel so much that it ended up being less fuel than any stock injection pump delivers. So off I was going on my new Moose pump. Its possible to turn down the fuel but its going to change things. Are you ready to accept those changes or keep what you have. Funny thing was about my second Moose pump built to the same specs as my first. Driving home from the rally I got an average of 18.9 mpg doing 75 to 85 mph with 3:55 gears. An E4OD trans and the Gear vendors behind that so I was in double overdrive. final gear ratio was 1.96. I could not pull that gear in all the freeway travels but the flats were easy to pull that.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
IIRC, Mel says not to turn down the pump.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Ill pm Mel to get the straight answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online