turned up pump mpg?

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that. I'm sure I'd get decent mileage out of my bone stock 7.3 NA if I'd just keep my foot out of it.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even balls to the wall these engines get pretty good mileage.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does turning up the pump even do anything for these engines in NA form? I know it can help on a turbo engine since you have the extra air to burn the fuel, but on an NA engine your air is limited. I would be interested since mine is NA and I have a EGT to keep an eye on.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes turning up the fuel will improve mpg. An engine that's pulling a hill @3500 rpm in 3rd will use more fuel than the same engine pulling that hill @2300 in 4th.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been messing with just that was getting 15mpg and 7psi boost in stock form, turned my pump down 2 flats...powerless dog any hills or passing forgetaboutit with little boost like 4 max! And it got 15 still so now Just maxed it out + 5 full turns on the turbo part (turbo IP). Will report back in a few weeks, Boost is nice hitting 12psi

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its really what the right foot is doing on the throttle that tells you what your mileage is going to be. Please remember that any black smoke is wasted miles per gallon too.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
my truck is na with pump maxed and my mileage ranges from a best of 22 mpg to a worst of 7 mpg average of about 15 or 16 as has been said the aggression of your right foot determines mileage

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a junior moose my truck gets about 18 around town and 12ish on the highway. But that's cuz it's screaming down the highway. I really need a 5 speed

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well a run is in with the pump cranked up and the mileage is the same the only difference is more driving in boost mode usually about 5-7psi compared to very little boost with it turned down, The only bad thing (turbo pump) I get a hell of a puff of black smoke if I jump on it to cross a street in traffic so I'll be turning down the torque screw to slow the delivery rate and see if that goes away,One adjustment at a time doing it this way I'm looking for and finding the best adjustment.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13mpg flat mostly city driving with a short 2-3 mile 55mph zone to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight