turbo update

Runningaford

Reaction score
In my other thread, looking for a turbo actuator valve cookoo ,based off of the 'professional' advice of a 'professional', and fairly strong looking diesel shop business:backoff In reading the posts, towcat got me to really thinking about wth was going on. I went to the University of Youtube, and watch some really good turbo wastegate videos.

I went out to my truck, got the wastegate, that the shop had removed, and showed me was 'locked up', 'frozen up', and instead of pushing it as they had showed me, I instead pulled it after comprehending how the damn thing actually worked! Guess what, the rod pulled right out about 3/4 of an inch. I let it go, and the spring sucked it right in with some fairly good force; to boot when I did that, I felt a blast of air where the valve 'nipple' is....... I'm thinking the damn actuator is just fine..;Sweet

It really pissed me off, as I was able to get the good folks at Conestoga Diesel to call out to the shop, and get the low down; they told Joel the rod was frozen, showed me the 'frozen' rod, and had me convinced that it wasn't properly gone over during rebuild. What'd I do next? I already checked for leaks once, I asked the shop to do the same, and they said they had, and found nothing..............-cuss :backoff

Well, I doubled down, since the actuator sure seems good, and really really did some good looking for leaks. I found 3 leaks; obviously first time around I screwed the pooch in looking hard enough.

all three were on my exhaust side, 1 right at the top of the up pipe, 2 at both sides of the crossover pipe. I tightened the top end, and sealed, and over tightened the bottom end.

The turbo is almost annoying at idle now, it howls!;Sweet

I'll be going back with the actuator on Monday to the shop, and ask the owner to show me how it really is frozen(since it's not). While I'm there, and I show him it works, I'll ask for a refund; they only charged me $157.50.:backoff-cuss If not, then I'll be including their name here in the hall of shame(or whatever it's called)

I really would like to thank Russ for the rebuild, I'm a novice at this whole thing, and I realize for sure now, there's very few out there that'll treat you right.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out. I do inspect, lube, free up everything on a build. Leaks are evil.lol

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some shops can't find thier *** in the dark near an idi.
Apparently these guys are rockstars!
Hall of shame worthy!

Runningaford

Reaction score
soapy water in a squirt bottle; I did it on a cold engine so that it didn't evaporate immediately; also, one leak I didn't see until my 'warden' pushed on the throttle a little.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is good news. Both because you found out who is right and who is what sticks to our boots when walking in the dog park. Russ and Joel are some top notch people and not just because they work on old idi iron.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::sly