turbo rod install

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 turbo engine that I'm rebuilding, and I can't remember which way the rods go on the pistons. Does the weight pad go towards camside or exh manifold side? I have the rods all numbered so that's good. Also the main caps have numbers with arrows on them, is number 1 cap the front cap the rear cap? I know the arrows point to the front, and that the middle cap is number 3 but the others I can't remember. Thanks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
look at the radius on the rod big end, wide one goes to the crank cheek. front cap is #1

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is correct. Always install the rods with the chamfer side facing the crank webs. The front main is number one and the arrows point towards the front of the engine. The first step on rod torque is 38 lbs then again at 51 lbs. The mains are torqued 75 lbs then again at 95lbs. The vibration dampner torque is 90 lbs and the flywheel mounting bolts is 47 lbs but use blue lictite.. It seals the threads from oil leaking out past the threads and holds the bolts in place... Some members have had them back out and shear off... Not fun at all either.... Do Not use a cork or rubber oil pan gasket because it will leak... The factory used an rtv and its the best seal we can get. Just because you CAN buy a pan gasket does not mean its a good thing... These days people will sell you anything they can....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And only use the Ultra rtv sealers. That is what they are designed for.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I prefer to use the permatex ultra copper... Its high temp and oil resistant... It used to be called copper plus. I have used it on everything but the head gaskets. Its a great thread sealant too....Smells terrible too...:angel: