Turbo Question

Mtorg

Reaction score
Ok, so I may have found a turbo that I want to mod into my truck. I have no idea the make, but I found an old straight 6 tractor engine under my grandpa's shed. Its just a motor, and my grandpa died so I cant ask him about the motor. Don't care about the motor, pretty sure its blown up. I want the turbo. It is non waste gated and not really that big. By the way, some of this is hypothetical, just wondering kind of stuff. If i were to put the turbo on my old 6.9, would I be safe with no wastegate? Or is there an easy way to put a waste gate on a turbo without knowing more about the turbo itself? I will get a boost and check PSI if i put it on. but I don't want to put it on and then take it off again because of boost or something. My uncle has an old 12 valve cummins and the turbo on the tractor is just a little over half the size of his (stock) turbo. I'm short on money and I need power out of my truck, almost all I do with it is pull stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT

I live at about 7200 feet, and I pull in the mountains a lot (fire wood, camping ect.) , at about 10,000 feet..... so yeah where ever I go I blow coal and have little power.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Look all over the turbo for some numbers. It'll tell you what it is.

Take pics of the engine and turbo, and post them here.

At your elevation, a turbo will make a huge difference.
(At sea level the turbo helps a lot, but you have less air the higher you are)

Mtorg

Reaction score
Ok, It will take time to get the pictures, the motor is in my grandma's shed about 45 mins away from me. I work out of town all week but I will pry get them by next weekend.