Turbo question

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately my turbo on my 99.5 makes a strange raspy sound. With an SP Performance module set to 80 HP I can get 18-19 boost when I floor it, thats when I get that raspy sound when the turbo is winding down. Could that be the bearings going out? Will it self destruct? Been doing that for the last 6-7 thousand miles. It's a Garrett turbo. 164,000 on the clock.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that the Garrett has for bearings is some brass bushings and a thrust washer. But generally speaking they dont get toasted unless you are pushing 25+ psi frequently.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that the Garrett has for bearings is some brass bushings and a thrust washer. But generally speaking they dont get toasted unless you are pushing 25+ psi frequently.

Guess I'll just have to wait until it self destructs. Thanks.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id pull the intake tube off and spin the turbo and see if you have end play, check for contact with the compressor housing and all that good stuff.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id pull the intake tube off and spin the turbo and see if you have end play, check for contact with the compressor housing and all that good stuff.

Building a new shop 26X26, and raining so much lately. Never crossed my mind to do that. Will do tomorrow.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt mine with help from the guy in Utah off ebay.

He sends you the kit, you send him your rotating assembly and he sends it back balanced.

These turbo's are very easy to rebuild, no special tools required, just the right parts.

For $120 or so for everything - it was a breeze -- putting it back in with the new up pipe gaskets was much more frustrating than rebuilding it!

good luck with the shop build - I have a building project coming up soon too and need my truck fixed to do it -- i need to build the high creeper you've shown in your avatar!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good luck with the shop build - I have a building project coming up soon too and need my truck fixed to do it -- i need to build the high creeper you've shown in your avatar!

Here is pics of how I built it. Takes about 30' of angle iron 3/16" X 1-1/4 X 1-1/4. I made it adjustable to slide up another 9" , see the top 2 bolts, the leg from the platform down is 18" drilled every 3" for 3/8" bolts.

You must be registered for see images