turbo options?

Black dawg

Reaction score
what turbos have others tried? have an 89 burb with 96 6.5 banks kit. not very happy with it boost wise 7 psi, although it actually spools fairly quick. on my last burb with 6.2 and banks kit it ran very good and made great boost numbers, but the compressor housing and wheel had been changed. the closest I cood match it up to measurement wise was a turbonetics super v trim compressor. this combo made 14-15 psi.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using a TEO6H off a 6.9/7.3 Banks kit. reclocked the compressor housing. Don't know how its going to run yet, but it looks like night and day difference compared to the stock 6.5 offering. Got the ideas from Oliver Diesel. I'll look them up and post the linky in a few
here you go.... www.oliverdiesel.com ...click on the pic of the '85 sub.
difference is he's using the kit for a 6.2 from Banks and I am using the goodies off a 6.5td...exh, intake, IP, etc.

Last edited:

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The TEO6 is a fairly popular upgrade turbo for the GM diesels. I prefer a WH1C, HX35, or HY35 Holset personally. If you are fairly stock and plan on staying that way the TE06 will be fine, but I don't beleive that it will flow enough for lots of HP. The mentioned Holsets will flow all the air a 6.2/6.5 can handle and then some...

Black dawg

Reaction score
what kind of boost do you see with the hoslets? how does the 6.5 look on a holset compressor map? this is a driver so dont want to go to far, but enough boost to clear up the smoke at high elev. and lower egt would be nice.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've ran upto 24+ with the WH1C and HY35. The holsets are still in a decent effeciency range on the 6.5. When I used to tow with my '93 I couldn't get over 1200 EGT wise. The block/crank exploded at 150K though...

chevydiesel

Reaction score
I've got a Banks unit on my 6.2 pickup, and it makes 8-9psi when I'm flat on the go petal and the engine is AT redline before it shifts (auto).

You're right though, sensible driving nets around 7 without floorboarding it.

The non-gated turbo (big housing) is RPM reponsive, not heat/load responsive.

Around town is smokey. It's a lil big (exhaust side anyways).

The T04B turbos Banks used have the 60 compressor, not sure on the wheel though. Banks does and still does offer a "lighter" wheel for the turbo, but requires both a wheel and a compressor housing.

The ideal T04B would be one that incorporates a 70 compressor and larger wheel accompanied with the right sized exhaust housing.

Here are your options. First check which exhaust housing you have on your Banks, the A/R on the exhaust side of the turbo will be the tell/tale. There were two housings, a 1.15 a/r (puke) and a 1.00 a/r, which is decent (I've run both).

Check for exhaust leaks, the Banks setup allows for exhaust leak on the x-over, any leak, and you'll be bleeding potential air to turn the turbine wheel.

Anyways, If you've got the 1.15, get another housing, I've called several shops, and a few actually had the housing, around ~$150 is what you'll pay, maybe $100 if you're really a Jew.

The weird thing about the Banks unit is that it uses a SIX bolt exhaust flange, NOT 4 bolt like the standard "euro" T04B (which is what this is). If you want to modify your downpipe for the 4 bolt flange, you have lots of options. You can probably call High Tech Turbo and get another housing, just specify your a/r ratio. If you pull, I recommend a .96 a/r, if not much pulling mainly fast spooling running around town, I recommend finding a .84 or .86 a/r for the exhaust, you'll like that. With the .8x housing you WILL make 12psi boost with 6.2 fuel system.

Otherwise, HTT found me one six bolt outlet .86 a/r ratio housing (kinda rare) for around $300 for the new housing. It should bolt right in, but I don't have $300 to try it out, but have a TE06H sitting on the shelf... So...

I vote TE06H on the Banks, which is my next conversion.

Just a note if you have the BIG banks housing, the Ford 6.9 Banks kit uses the same turbo, yeah, same, and uses the 1.00 a/r exhaust housing, so this will aide in you finding your housing if you end up being in that need.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin