Turbo installed

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINALLY, got everything together to be able to take it for a test drive and I gotta be honest, I cant tell a difference besides the whistle under the hood. I have yet to turn up the pump and I havent installed a pyro or boost gauge yet so idk the stats of everything yet. But I seriously hope it gets better or ill be highly disqppointed. This week ill be installing gauges and turning the pump up plus play with the timing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a turbo cal pump from a local builder that was tuned for n/a during the one year warranty. All i noticed was lower egts and whistle. Once turned up though....boy was it fun.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only history I know about my pump is the PO had it rebuilt at one point or another and by who Idk. But I hope with the pump turned up it impresses me at least a little bit

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole point of a turbo is being able to burn more fuel while keeping EGT's manageable. You won't notice any more power until you lay some fuel into it. Get that pump turned up and report back how much fun it is to drive!

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, don't be able to do ghat till this week sometime. But yes

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha i was the same way when i first installed mine on chip truck.i didn't turn the fuel up,just went for a ride.it made me a bit nervous that the power gains wasn't going to be impressive..........with a flat and a half up.......boy was i wrong lol.don't worry.night and day,brother.it's like night and day.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really hope so, didn't mean to start a thread over nothing, but I needed a little reassurance from all you guys on here haha

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have my pump up 3 flats if I remember right, did it when it was na, if I was pulling a light load when na in 5th and came to the slight hint of a hill more pedal would only net pissed off drivers behind me and lower mpgs, now with the same load and the same hill I can floor it at the bottom and see almost no smoke and gain speed for the whole hill. My boost is only at 6 or 7 psi and my egts so far have topped at 900 with about 6 or 7k behind me and running the **** out of it up a hill. I still have a slight haze when floored so I might let the wastegate out to 10 or so but I want to get all of my moving behind me before I play with it.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I would go ahead and post pics of the finished project.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Homemade CAI, I like how it all worked out still being able to use the factory tube to draw air off the top of the radiator.

I also used the factory CDR mount on the valve cover to mount my GPC and just ran a RDT out of 1"heater hose down the frame real.
I'll take more pics tonight if anyone is interested.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Status update!

Turned the pump up tonight a few flats and took it for a spin, sure enough as you all said it's a completely different truck!
I don't have my gauges installed yet so Idk the details but, the truck doesn't seem to smoke too much and I think it's pretty responsive. Timing was set at 8 deg btdc I might try to play with that a little bit since I have a meter.
Just glad that Henry has some pep in his step now haha, and just in time for tractor pulling season!!

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got gauges finally installed last night. Just driving the truck empty ive seen 10 psi boost when you get on it real hard and egts have yet to go over 900 degrees. I need to hook it to a gooseneck and see what egts do. Might be able to turn the pump up some more. Smoke is lite in my opinion. Little puff when you romp on it the it clears up pretty quick.
All in all im happy everything went fairly smooth