Turbo install questions

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Turbo install question

The time has come, with weather in the 50's this week where I live, it is a perfect time to do some more work on my early hypermax turbo install.

So far I've been doing little things like welding up my own set of up pipes along with an early Banks style CDR relocation (front of engine under oil fill cap).

Today while I was hacking away at the firewall, I noticed that my set of instructions are not very clear about the rerouting of the fuel return lines.

From the Banks manual I have from my old kit, they have the fuel return line looped around the front of the intake manifold. Just requires a longer fuel hose.
The hypermax manual however, mentions rerouting the hoses off of the IP at the front. Does anyone have some photos or something to give me an idea of a good way to route these?

Also, how might I route the return line further away from the driver's side up pipe? I would like to keep the two as far away as possible...but it looks like I am going to be only two inches away.

I have been through the hypermax turbo install thread posted in the tech articles, so I'm part way there ;Sweet

-Dave

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dont know about from the IP...but I rerouted my return line from the passenger side return lines to the drivers side collector by cutting a long piece of return line and running it instead of in the back to the front by the IP and then back. Makes a big U shape.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
That sounds about right...just like the Banks manual described. Well, other than earlier 6.9L models that spliced between the middle two injector return lines on the passenger side.

By the way, preliminary instructions in the hypermax manual are as follows:

To reduce the possibility of cylinder head gasket leakage, it is advisable to re-torque the cylinder head bolts to (6.9L-85 Ft./Lbs. 7.3L-110 Ft./Lbs.) after 3,000 miles has been accumulated on the vehicle. Reinstall the rocker arms and posts in their original location with the timing mark on the front pulley at the 11.00 o’clock position as viewed from the front of the engine. Torque the post bolts to 20 ft.-lbs. Before replacing the valve covers proceed with step 2.

Anyone else heard of this? :dunno

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Just did mine, did not touch the heads based on advice from other members, the return line route is sorta near the IP and back again to keep the line away from the turbo heat.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I only have the newer hypermax pulse turbo instructions for reference along with an older Banks manual.

Are the two hypermax manuals pretty much the same minus the up pipe design? That is all I gathered looking between the two :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online