turbo experts??

Black dawg

Reaction score
How does having an intercooler affect what I should look for in a compressor map?

sootman73

Reaction score
it doesn't as long as its not over/undersized. it will drop your boost some because as air cools the charge becomes more dense. high boost is not what one should be looking for.

gotta think pressure is resistance not performance. getting more air is the goal, not getting it at a higher pressure. the cooler the air the more oxygen molecules in a given volume.

you dont want to have too small a intercooler to create resistance and create more pressure to raise IAT's(opposite effect of intercooler) and you dont want one too big that it takes a long time to build boost too.

Black dawg

Reaction score
it doesn't as long as its not over/undersized. it will drop your boost some because as air cools the charge becomes more dense. high boost is not what one should be looking for.

gotta think pressure is resistance not performance. getting more air is the goal, not getting it at a higher pressure. the cooler the air the more oxygen molecules in a given volume.

you dont want to have too small a intercooler to create resistance and create more pressure to raise IAT's(opposite effect of intercooler) and you dont want one too big that it takes a long time to build boost too.

So without motor mods, cam or porting, how do I increase the air through my motor without more boost pressure?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Porting, and cam work should also be considered though. Like said, boost is a measure of resistence, the more resistence the more turbulance...etc. Cleaning up the heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc...will effectivly lower boost. Some might be worried about that, but the guys who do this report lower EGT's and more HP/TQ. That is because instead of higher turbulance causing higherboost pressure, there is less resistance, and less boost....but more airflow through the motor. Kinda neat how that works.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Porting, and cam work should also be considered though. Like said, boost is a measure of resistence, the more resistence the more turbulance...etc. Cleaning up the heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc...will effectivly lower boost. Some might be worried about that, but the guys who do this report lower EGT's and more HP/TQ. That is because instead of higher turbulance causing higherboost pressure, there is less resistance, and less boost....but more airflow through the motor. Kinda neat how that works.

Yeppers. All high boost #'s are good for is braggin rights. Efficient boost is where it's at.
I can't tell you how many green Cummins owners I've seen slap improperly sized turbos on their Cummins just so they can get huge boost #s. I watched one HX60 (single) destroy itself on a Dyno run because it was surging the whole time and subsequently the thrust bearing went caput and the ole 12 valve was drinking its own oil. Theres also the guys running high HP trucks still on stock turbos pushin 50lbs out of a turbo designed for 30 or less

Black dawg

Reaction score
Well, I am not looking to go balls out with this thing as it already runs really good. It needs a new turbo and I would rather upgrade at the same time. It looks like the best option for me will be to mod my compressor for another wheel (have very little room for a bigger compressor housing) and step down one size on the exhaust housing for quicker spool.

If it spools better down low I will be very happy, And I imagine it will probably make 15ish for boost. It already spools amazing for a non gated setup, but more would be nice.
When I rebuild and address the cooling issues, it will be getting a custom cam and a modified injection pump.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FINALLY someone gets it. :hail:hail:hail