Turbo 01' with chip/trans conflict?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
this is being posted for my brother who has an automatic 01' f350 that has turbo and a three position chip (not sure which but can find out if it makes a difference) tranny seems to have trouble shifting through first few gears (stuck in tow mode somehow?) literally have to get it up past 3k on tach to get it to shift. ive fiddled with the switch, checked some connections that i could find....anyone have any ideas? doesnt seem to have any problems in top two gears. :hail to whoever has the answer. thanks in advance.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First advice is to remove the chip and see if the problems still exist. If the problem goes away then it is most likely associated to the chip, if the problem remains then the problem might reside in the tranny. Is the OD light blinking on and off?

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
i think the tranny got checked out and passed, but ill advise him about removing the chip. im an IDI guy, so i have no idea about how to go about removing the chip....are they usually just plug and play? if its inline with ECM do i just remove and plug harness back into ECM?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the left kick panel and e-brake assy and you will be able to see the back of the PCM, the chip will be plugged into the circuit board and you will be able to see it staring back at you. You can pull the chip out there but make sure the KEY IS IN THE OFF position or you will fry the PCM.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that the problem is resolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online