TTB dana 50 ring gear

kodiak98400

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier come loose? I heard a clunk in my frontend driving home from work. Hubs locked in,transfer case in 2hi. Was hoping it was a ujoint going,but they all looked good. Tore into it last night,dropped the pumkin out and all the bolts in the ring gear had backed out,1 sheared the head off the bolt.(that was the clunk i heard ).I've put 110,000 miles on this truck since I've owned it and I"ve never done any work on the frontend.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its usually bad matience not all bolts torqued the same one works out then the next then the next
but why were hubs locked in?
i lock mine in in 2 conditions im using 4x4
or ill be going up a steep hill in snow but i lock before and unlock after

kodiak98400

Reaction score
this happened several months ago when the roads were really bad. I hate to leave it in four wheel drive when im on the highway going 55-60. Lucky I had another rig to drive,so its been parked until I had time to work on it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Having the hubs locked in and the T case out is the same as having the hubs locked in and the T case engaged. The only thing is with the T case disengaged, you won't hop going around corners....BUT you front end drive parts are still turning.

The reason ford had the disconnects was because if the front end parts are not turning, there is reduced drag for efficiency and you aren't wearing the parts out all the time.

kodiak98400

Reaction score
I realize the front is still turning ,its just not under load. I only take it out of 4 high because the road condition changes. It goes from slick as snot (hardpack snow and ice) to dry pavement . I dont want to put a bind on the drive train .I was in 4 high minutes before this happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online