trucks cutting out and loosing power

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just drove my truck and it feels like its cutting out any ideas i just put a fuel filter on maybe 2 weeks ago

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand of fuel filter? How many miles on ip? Have you checked the fuel water separator? They are known to fail and suck air. Lift pump may not be supplying enough fuel. Is this under normal driving or hard pull? Cold or warm engine? Need to know some more variables.
*edit* How did engine run before fuel filter change? Was fuel filter changed to try and cure problem?

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just as I'm driving it it cuts out and don't feel like its revving up when it should and its idealing funny it just started happening today and its a napa filter and the truck only has 130 000 on it and he said he replaced the ip not to long ago but it does seem like it may be air in the system cause when i open the shredder valve on the fuel filter a lot of air cmes out while its running so mabbey its the fuel water separator any way to by pass that

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you got air in the system, now you need to find where its coming from. unfortunatly its usually the last thing you desturbed/worked on that is usually the cause of the new problem.

might want to check the sealing rings on the filter or give it a little snuging. dont go crazy on that though it should not take much torque to seat them. could some crap have been caught between the sealing surfaces?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say it cuts out, do you mean it cuts out like somebody is turning the key off, or does the pedal just sort of "go away" like the fuel supply got lower and lower, OR does it suddenly speed up then slow down?