Truck wont start

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Im working with a 2001 F250 with a 7.3 PSD, I replaced the oil and oil filter, replaced the fuel filter and all 8 injetors the truck will crank but wont fire, any toughts or ideas will be good thanks.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never worked on a stroke.
But I've heard there a real ***** to start after an injector change.
Something about hpop pressure or something like that?

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Yea I dont like them either I have a '85 F250 with a 6.9 and I can work on it all day long and never have these no start problems like this stupid PSD.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the injector / glow plug wire harness in the valve covers get plugged back in after the injector replacement?

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Yes it did but Im wondering if I should remove the valve covers and try and run the engine that way to see if there is an issuse with the valve cover gaskets, I did install new gaskets.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a long time to purge the air out of the HPO oil rail.

Read this DIY article regarding injector replacement. It was written specific to 94-97 strokes but will work for the 7.3 super duty also. Pay particular attention to pg. 6 as that is the oil/air purge procedure.
Injector R&R article.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a long time to purge the air out of the HPO oil rail.

Read this DIY article regarding injector replacement. It was written specific to 94-97 strokes but will work for the 7.3 super duty also. Pay particular attention to pg. 6 as that is the oil/air purge procedure.
Injector R&R article.
THAT'S THE ARTICLE I WAS LOOKING FOR THIS AFTERNOON!!!!
question is....
does the writer of the article look like he had enough to drink?

Attachments

• HOMER.jpg
    HOMER.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 10

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I was doing some reading on other sites and there have been instances of people having the same problem, they had replaced the cam position sensor and the problems went away and the truck ran great, Im wondering if I do that the truck will run?

sassyrel

Reaction score
this may make some of you cry,,butttt. when you change a fuel filter,,and dont do it right,,you may not get it restarted,,without a lot of patience, and frying the starter in the process.......soooooooooooooo, get a spray mist bottle,like for windex.. clean it out,,and put about 1 cup of gas in it.. then pour in,,about 2 oz of 2 cycle oil,,shake well.. remove the air cleaner to turbo hose..have some one,,kick it over,,while spraying the mix of the bottle in the turbo inlet..have the nozzle set on mist.. it WILL start and run...done this one toooooo many times for people that screwed up...you will know,,when to stop misting...one guy,,had almost totally fried his starter,,but we got it started....i told him to let it run for at least 15 minutes..he did,,then came to my place,,and i rebuilt the starter...i called him a ********... he is 6-4,,285.......:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to check is the oil level in HPOP res. if for some reason it is low it will not start. Also check the oil pressure gauge while cranking, if you are not seeing pressure it will not not start. If no pressure on gauge look into replacing the LPOP, easy job, new Mellings pump about $90 and about 1 1/2 hour to replace. If you are not getting any smoke out the exhaust the the injecter are not fireing and that is due mostly to injectors not getting oil.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
This is what I have done today I checked for voltage and ground at the pump on the frame, it has good ground and has 12v, it has about 10v while cranking the engine, now here is the part I need help with, I disconnected the outlet hose from the pump with the key on there is no fuel coming out, I connected a jumper wire from the battery hot to the hot side of the pump to see if anything would hapen and nothing did, any thoughts or ideas, thanks?