Truck Won't Start

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little driving around last night and when I parked the truck I lost all power. The lights shut off, stereo cut and it wouldn't crank.

I checked the battery cables on both batteries and wiggled them for good measure, nothing. I did confirm today that I've got hazards and brake lights, it won't crank and I've got no lights, buzzers or anything.

Batteries are around 12.4 - 12.6 volts each, pushing the probe into the cable and touching the alt or the A/C compressor grants me ~12.3V. I checked the fuses under the clutch pedal and they are all good. What am I missing? Still have hazards and Brake lights....
:dunno:confused:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See the solenoid on the passenger side fender. Also note the heavy cable from the positive side of the battery going directly to that... This is where your electrical system gets its power from. Check those connections for clean and tight...

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would prevent all interior lights? I have had them apart and cleaned recently, but I'll clean them again.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be some fuseable links over there too, might check those to make sure they aren't burnt and if they are, why they are burnt.

lynch

little stinker
Reaction score
I have a 94 7.3 turbo and mine wouldnt start and when u trun the key on the lights were dim my locks wouldnt work or my windows so I charged the batteries and that worked for awile but drove it and turned it off and it wouldnt start or nothin no lights nothin. It **** 2 trucks to start mine one on each batterie turns out it was 2 thangs 1 was the wire to the solenoid and 2 the cable going to the starter was bad so it was draing my batteries.I replaced the cable and it startes every time now and the cable for mine was $200.00 at the dealer

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the white connector/plug on Passenger fender going to GP harness. The orange or yellow big wires may have broken connectors inside the batltery side of the plug. I used the large 10/12 ga butt connectors to fix mine. I'll repair it later when I have more time (fix is 7 months old).

Rick

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was some suspect wiring on the pass fender. Got the power back, but it wouldn't start, batteries drained. It was ~2* out, so that could not have been helping either.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to thank you icanfixall - you lived up to your name last night :)

It started hard a few days ago - it was grumpy last night and we killed the batteries, lol, used the starter in low range to park the truck back in it's spot. How much is one of those fancy high speed starters? Mine is fine, but I'm really abusing it.

You must be registered for see images attach