Truck won't start

aaklingler

Reaction score
I had the needle up the lower line on the water temp gauge and I've had the block heater plugged it. Does it need warmed up more then that?

aaklingler

Reaction score
Right now I can only get it to run with the block heater plugged in and it will only run when the glow plugs are lit. The CEL comes on and the truck dies when the gp's go out.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a compression problem. when it is running, take the oil fill cap off, turn it upside down and set it on top of the tube. If it blows the cap off, you have a bigger problem.

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...is the oil level at the full mark on the dipstick? Not sure if it could be the problem but with the HUEI injectors the pressure for the injection event of the fuel is produced through the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) so if your engine oil is low it could cause a hard start and rough idle due to a lack of oil in order to both lubricate the engine and supply the HPOP. Just a thought

George

*Edit: Scratch that I see you said your pan was full in your first post.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I couldn't get it running yesterday, but I pulled some codes, truck fired.

p1211 IPR ICP pressure above/below desired Continuous and KOER on-demand test IPR valve failed, stuck, or shorted to ground

p0470 EBP Exhst press sensor ckt malfnct (96 MY) No-start or crank mode Biased sensor, open signal return

I did have the EBP unhooked but I think I got it hooked back up, it keep coming back every time we cleared it

p1212 ICP ICP volt not at expected level Crank or KOEO Biased sensor or ckt, open signal rtn, low oil in reservoir

We cleared it and it came back the next time but not after that.

P0603 PCED Powertrain Control Module KAM error No historical faults output during a KOEO test Open PCM pin, disconnected B+, faulty PCM

What do the codes mean? Can I use a icp from a 97 to check my 95? I'm going to try to check my glow plugs and relay. Which plug are the glow plugs in?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I think you may have a bad IPR, it sounds like the coil on it has failed. Check to make sure it has 12V + and ground....Unplug the ICP sensor and crank it to see if it will start. Is your tach boucing while cranking?

aaklingler

Reaction score
tach just comes up a little bit and stays there, like 100 rpm. I have ~5v going to the icp when the key is on. Will a ipr out of a 97 work in a 95? Where is the engine serial number? Where is the julian date?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You need to check for battery voltage and ground at the IPR - no power, no ground - no start....I still say you need a scanner or tuner to verfiy the cranking speed, the dash tach is not reliable for diagnostics. Once you verify the actual cranking speed we can possibly rule out a PCM failure....Is your GP relay closing at key on for the normal amount of time? I wouldn't trust the clicking noise, I would want to see a test light nice and bright on the GP post of the relay when it should be closed.

aaklingler

Reaction score
Battery has 12.5-13v. When I checked the codes I forgot to have him check rpm. Yes glow plug relay closes when I turn the key on and stays on for probably 30 sec. I was watching it with a voltmeter 12.5v. I will have to check the ipr, is that a 2 wire plug one 12v KO and the other a ground? Do you know if I can put either the whole ipr or just the coil in it out of a 97?

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
The other part may be different, you may want to research it. I know the cps for our 97's are diferent then a 96', so i would cross check year to year at a parts place. I was told that my truck would not run correct with a cps from the 96' from a few ford teks.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The IPR should work from either, all the new ones have the "edge" filter on the end, the old ones don't. From what I've seen you could take one from a 3126 CAT and it will screw right into your PSD....I've seen them side by side, identical to look at.