Truck won't start

78fordf150

Reaction score
okay i went outside today too start my truck gave it some ether and it started right up then died,tryed too start it again and nothing just cranks over .

what do you guys think the probleam is

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it hit on the ether when you are cranking it ??

I figure either your fuel-tank selector is running you out of fuel, or whichever tank you are drawing from has lost it's pick-up fitting, or you are experiencing leak-down/air-invasion.

In any of the above cases, it should still hit on the ether.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This engines start just fine on very low temperatures if the fuel system is in good working order and primed, granted You need good batteries and glow plugs too but they will start at very low temp's. I say this bc it isn't very good to use ether to get it started frequently.

In Your case, if it started fine before and You didn't change anything then I would start with the easy first, air leak (check return lines too), fuel filter, fuel pump.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
fuel, heat and air. If it ran fine yesterday then you likely have air, heat comes from gps and compression once its going. Either "pops off" at a much lower temp than diesel so it will "hit" and speed the engine up.

If it doesnt "pop" or "rattle" with either then you likely have a major issue. If your compression is even decent it should "try" to start with either. If it does try to start (i.e. rattles and speeds up for a second or so) then you likely arent getting fuel to the cylinder.

If it was running fine and then all at once did this I would check for power at the solenoid and fuel at the injector. If you have fuel at the filter housing and no fuel at the injector its likely to be the shut off solenoid is stuck and/or bad.

punk

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
fuel problem.

start by telling us what truck you have. Its not in your sig so I dont know if you have an 83-87 with a 6.9 or and 88-94 with a 7.3 or which filter setup you have. Im pretty sure that both filter housings are supposed to have a shrader valve at the top. If yours still has it (I have seen more than a few that dont) crank the vehicle and push the valve in, If fuel sprays out then your lift pump is good, if not then you need to check your pickups and be sure there is fuel for the lift pump to pull.

If you have fuel and its coming out of the shrader while cranking then check to see the solenoid on the pump has 12v with the key on. If it doesnt then trace the wire back and find out why. If it does then unscrew a hard line at the injector and crank engine over, watch for spurts of fuel out around the threads. If you dont have this then it could be a stuck solenoid or a bad pump. Likely just a solenoid if the truck was running recently.

punk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online