truck wont start

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
i have a 92 f2590 with a 7.3 idi it wont turn over all i hear is a click from the solenoid on the fender any ideas

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you check the batteries they are probably worn out or dead.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, there are times when a "rap" on the starter with a small hammer or something with weight helps at times, but I can't recommend that since it could break if done wrong.

Auto or Man tranny? If you have a man tranny you can pull start or a rocking of the truck in gear will move the starter over the dead spot if there is one. Bear in mind these are all pretty crude methods and by no means the solution. There could be another problem altogether.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
ive already hit it with the hammer :D and tryed jumping it striaght to the starter so im guessing the starter is bad all together

94turbo73

Reaction score
could just be the solenoid i replaced mine twice due to long crank times shoulda replaced the glow plugs. the starter it self which is like 300 dollars could be good the solenoid 25 dollar could be bad

1993 f-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a starter from autozone for like 140 with a core charge and a lifetime warranty. already gone through one and on the second one. havent even owned the truck for a year. another thhing too is the connections. make sure that the positive wire is snug on the selinoid. mine decided that one day it just wanted to spark right after we got about 6-8 inches of snow on top of another 2

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Before you go any further, can you turn the engine by hand?(socket and ratchet) If the engine is locked up (hydrolocked) no starter in the world is gonna turn it. If you can turn the engine at least 2 full revolutions by hand than you most likely need a starter.
Good Luck
Ken

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What Ken said. Turn clockwise as to not loosen dampner bolt. Pull glowplugs if hydrolock is the likely candidate and try rotating by hand again. Fluid should :puke:spew:puke: out of the GP holes.:eek:

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Befor you start replacing things hoping they fix it check to see if there is power coming out of the solinoid on the fender when you try to crank it the check to see if roughly the same amout of voltage is getting to the starter from the solinoid if the starter has good voltage to it a good ground and all the conections are clean and thight you need a starter if the engine is locked up you would here a loud clunk from the starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7