Truck won't start PERIOD!!! Help!

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea.....may be time to bite the billfold on this one. I guess I've decided I wanna keep it anyway lol. Thanks for all the help. IF the fuel pump is bad again....what's the most cost effective one to buy?

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
The most cost effective is just replacing the factory lift pump. The ideal thing to do is eliminate the lift pump and replace it with an electric fuel pump. If you are talking about the injector pump, spend the extra money and buy a Baby Moose pump from Agnem on this forum. From everything I've read, you would NEVER regret it. It's by far the best pump money can buy for our trucks. When and if I have one of my 2 diesels needing a pump, I will be buying a full Moose pump to run with my turbos and a set of matched BB code injectors from Russ (Typ4) who happens to be local to me.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
If its a manual, can you pull start it to make sure you have fuel in the cylinder?

*Just skimmed, apolgies if it was already covered...*

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was 50 degrees today and still won't start. Won't produce any smoke either :/ Haven't had time to check fuel pressure or anything.....evening shift this week is got everything jacked up. Hopefully do some diagnostics this weekend.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I check the fuel pressure? Btw I got a new IP to throw on it, just wanna make sure the stupid Airtex fuel pump is pushing enough fuel.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a special gauge? Or do I just pull the valve core out and put a gauge straight on it? OR do I just crank it and see if it pukes fuel?

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why dont you pull start the truck instead of burning up the starter ,,,,,,,looks like its a 5-spd if its got fuel it will start by pulling it

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
I actually have yet to have a IDI diesel, but I've studied a little engineering and also have been around and worked on diesels so here's my two cent.

I have the exact problem on a JD NA diesel. Doesn't matter if plugged in or 60* outside. I spent two hours trying to get the darned thing started. Here's what it is: Failed injection pump. When I got the thing started, it had one heck of a cloud of black smoke and couldn't quit. Happens pretty fast. Also had some friends with diesel trucks, always started hard, then they replaced IP, and always started amazing.

Just be sure your lift pump is working or else it will starve your IP. And if you replace the IP replace the lift pump. If it is pumping fuel, it isn't necessarily enough, and the IP is lubricated by the diesel fuel.

So that's my two cents.

Oh, and about the ether - I've found that if the IP isn't working, you can't give a diesel like these enough ether to get it going, cause if you did it would blow out the head gaskets or worse. Ether is only intended in small amounts to ignite the diesel fuel injected, not to warm up the cylinder to help the diesel fire (alot of people I've come across that think so).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Beginningjockey, IMO that's spot on.

A gas engine can be ran off ether pretty easy, but not 7.3 liters of indirect injected diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online