Truck Wont shut off

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got home yesterday and had to choke the motor with a anitfreeze jug to get it to shut down. I cycle the key back and all of the cab shuts off like it should but I do not think it is kicking the shut off solenoid, what should I check first, besides the noid itself.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It sounds like the solenoid is sticking....run some transmission fluid or some good quality diesel kleen through it....gently tap it and see if it will close off and shut the truck down.

sassyrel

Reaction score
if it wont shut off--see if the solenoid wire to the pump stays hot when you shut it off--if so--FIND OUT WHY--------

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Do the above and find out why this is happening... It could be the ignition switch has failed. If it has the next thing you may see is an electrical fire under the dash. This switch did cause several wireing fires prompting a massive recall years ago.

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was looking at it this morning and found another problem, since the truck has not be shutting off, the glow plgs will not kick on either unless I pul the fuse under the hood and put it back in.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the big connection off on your ip, while the truck is on. Its the one with two wires

I kinda thought the one with the two wires was for the timing advance, because the other wire branches off to the fast idle solenoid.:dunno
I Dont have my truck close by to double check.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If the truck stays running without power (you have pulled off the wire), it is at least the solenoid being stuck open. Fix that first. Chances are that everything else is OK.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats one good thing about having an electric pump, you unplug it (or wire a shut off switch) from power no more fuel. with the mechanical pump you have to choke it.