Truck won't shut down after ip change

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a good rebuilt pump a few minutes ago. Turn key and hear the "click" wait for glow cycle. Start truck. Runs perfect. Turn key to shut it down and see how restart goes. Cept there ain't no shutdown. Unhook the fss wire. Nothing. Choke the engine off with and old drum head. Turn key back on test light indicates power. Starts perfect again. Won't shut off. Again. No power indicated with test light while key is off and engine is still running. Choke with drum head(resonant snare head...sounded like an old diesel shutting down). Still no power at fss wire. Switch in hear the click have power. Switch off nothing. So I'm kinda thinking the fss is bad. But would it still click when the key is switched on? I hope that's what it is cause I could probably swap it out with the one from the old pump, which I know is good. Any quick answers? Thanks in advance

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Its possible the rebuilt IP you installed, the rebuilder did not install the FSS correctly, I would remove it carefully and see if it attached to lever inside the pump, then install the old one from your other pump to see if there is a difference

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it. Took the top of the pump off. Everything brand damn new including the fss solenoid. Along with the 5 or 6 wraps of very small wire with an end that looked to be twisted by a machine, wrapped around the lever on the fss. Cut that mess off there and starts and shuts down like it should. What in the hell was the genius who did that thinking?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure sounds like some new guy had no idea what he was doing inside the pump... Or someone thought this was a nice joke to play on the unsuspectig buyer.... Glad you fixed it easily too.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. There were a few strands of small gauge wire, but not copper wire, wrapped around the fss. In a fashion to hold the fss lever in a constant on position. And it was wrapped right. The think still clicked but the arm couldn't move to off position. Ill post pics when I get to a computer. Definitely odd. But it works great now and truck runs so much better

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ehhhh i can't get the photo thing to work right at the moment. but click the clink..
odd huh

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe someone tried to create a runaway engine. Sometimes there hard to get stopped if they rev up.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would someone try to create a potentially dangerous situation like that?
the paint daubs on the top cover screws didn't look tampered with or anything
else to indicate it had been into since it was built.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know nothing about how these things are built, but maybe they do that to all of them during the build for some reason? to hold it open while putting something together and aligning and this knucklehead just forgot to take it off? ...or maybe he just meant to sell this one to his ex gf

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
i know nothing about how these things are built, but maybe they do that to all of them during the build for some reason? to hold it open while putting something together and aligning and this knucklehead just forgot to take it off?

I want to be optimistic and go with warhog's thought here, and probably Mel from Conestoga can answer this, meanwhile...

DANG, Josh, that sounds scary. Glad it wasn't more serious... :eek:

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm hoping it was also an oversight by an assembler. i got the pump second hand, as an unknown quanity. but since it was so clean and showed no signs of being run or having fuel in it i thought i'd try it. i made sure the fss clicked when power was applied, so i figured it would shut off as well. easy enough to fix the problem but still...
at least i learned a drum head makes a good choker. and how to remove/install a pump, and fss.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing the pic's of the FSS with the wire tied around it, I would say that the wire is part of the manufacturing of the solenoid, the wire is holding the armature in the coil until it can be assembled in the cover. Some bonehead just didn't remove the wire after assembly. Good help is hard to come by these days.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump was from diesel injection service. look like they have 3 locations in tejas.
really can't find much about them in the way of reviews.
so i guess take this info and photos with a grain of salt.
thanks for the replies