Truck stop fueling rules

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have installed a 100 gallon tank in the bed of my 1987 F350 and want to do a fast fill at the truck pumps. Before I pull up at the nearest Flying J with a 5th wheel in tow, I want to know if there if there is any truck stop etiquette that I should know about so I don't **** off anyone.

Thanks for any advice,

Archie

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Make sure at flying J to go in and get one of their discount cards first so you will save about $0.03 a gal... It sure adds up with a big tank, I've got a 150 on mine :D
You just have to go in and have them turn the pump on and give them your plastic first. Some of the flying Js have separete RV pumps and they fill pretty fast, they a;so have dump stations, which are mighty handy.
I don't know of any other truck stops with RV pumps, but some do have dump stations
The rest of the truck stops just pull up to the pumps, go inside with your plastic and have them turn on the pump. Just whenever you finish fueling, always pull forward far enough for the truck behind you in line to be able to pull up to the pump before you go inside to do your paperwork it may take 5 minutes or so and they have already pulled the numbers off your pump inside so that way the next guy can get started. the commercial drivers don't have to go inside to get the pumps started, they do it over the phones at the pumps outside.

The flyung Js usually have separete RV parking too, but most truck stops you just park out back with the trucks, out of courtesy i always park way in the back or in a spot that would be hard to get a rig into. When we're travelling on nights when we're just passing through we'll just pull into a truck stop I sleep betterthat way. we waste too much time getting in and out of rv parks. We only need to pull in about every 3-4 days to one if the tanks need dumping and refilling and if we find a truckstop or rest area where we can take care of that we can stretch out the road time and find more dry camp spots.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Usually we are pretty easy going about stuff like that I usually just wait my turn in line with the big rigs. I am paid by the hour and am not in a panic to get ahead of anyone else. But you WILL run into the occasional idiot who MUST be the first at the pump.

In that case, I would let him go first. No point in starting a fight at a truck stop, with 50 truckers and only one you lol.

Other than that, RLDSL hit the nail on the head. Watch out for the trucks as they can't always see you, and make eye contact before you move infront of another truck. Try not to go behind trucks to the point where you can't see the mirrors/or the driver can't see you.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rv islands are a small nozel with a large truck flow pump so they are the middle pumps
most stops will learn you if you stop a lot once you know the fueling person ask if you can just page them and have them turn on the pump
i worked at wilco in harrisburg for a while and most regular customers had it that way

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the rv islands are a small nozel with a large truck flow pump so they are the middle pumps
most stops will learn you if you stop a lot once you know the fueling person ask if you can just page them and have them turn on the pump
i worked at wilco in harrisburg for a while and most regular customers had it that way

Well, it USED to be that way everywhere around here, but ever since the fuel prices trippled and driveoffs started happening left and right, you'd have a hard time anymore finding any stations that still go it that way. even the place I stop in at all teh time I have to go through the drill now where I never used to ( yeah I have teh huge tank, but I don't often have the cash to fill the thing all at once, it cost around $450 to fill that sucker. That privilige gets reserved for long trips and I usually wait till I get down the road a piece where the price is cheaper to top the tank)
Used to be at any of the truck stops around here if you pulled up in a dually or an RV they'd just kick the pump on for you as you pulled up, but those days are long gone. I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to still try driving off in this state. All the stations have cameras at the pumps and it's an automatic license suspension

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just plain old good manners are all that are required to fuel at the truck-pumps; that is something that is completely lacking at the car-pumps; i.e. people darting around and cutting others off or leaving their car blocking the pumps while they attend to lengthy morning duties.

Usually, via the phone hanging at the pump, the fuel-desk girl will ask for company name, state, plate number, hub reading, and how you intend to pay.

Just answer "private owner" as company name.

I have ALWAYS received a considerable cash discount for paying with cash, often as much as 10%.

They don't advertise this as it is illegal to charge less for cash transactions; but, it costs them a ton of money to process credit-cards, so they pass the savings along to those who are respectful enough to use cash.

I have found this to be also true at most motels/hotels; cash always gets a big discount.

Once you are done fueling and BEFORE you go in to pay, pull forward enough to clear the pumps, but don't go hide around back just yet.

Then, go inside to the FUEL DESK, NOT where common tourists are paying for candy-bars and souvenirs.

If you buy enough fuel, you are elligible for a FREE shower; if you need a shower, let them know.

Also, at the good stops that actually have a real restaurant, a minimum fuel purchase often nets you a free buffet or meal-ticket; ask, as they may not mention it if you don't. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as pre-paying or having to make a deposit prior to filling, I find that most places in Kentucky --- truck-stop or not --- will turn the diesel-pump ON as soon as they see you out there.

The same is not always true with the gasoline pumps.

I guess most of the crooks don't drive diesels. :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just plain old good manners are all that are required to fuel at the truck-pumps; that is something that is completely lacking at the car-pumps; i.e. people darting around and cutting others off or leaving their car blocking the pumps while they attend to lengthy morning duties.

Usually, via the phone hanging at the pump, the fuel-desk girl will ask for company name, state, plate number, hub reading, and how you intend to pay.

Just answer "private owner" as company name.

I have ALWAYS received a considerable cash discount for paying with cash, often as much as 10%.

They don't advertise this as it is illegal to charge less for cash transactions; but, it costs them a ton of money to process credit-cards, so they pass the savings along to those who are respectful enough to use cash.

I have found this to be also true at most motels/hotels; cash always gets a big discount.

Once you are done fueling and BEFORE you go in to pay, pull forward enough to clear the pumps, but don't go hide around back just yet.

Then, go inside to the FUEL DESK, NOT where common tourists are paying for candy-bars and souvenirs.

If you buy enough fuel, you are elligible for a FREE shower; if you need a shower, let them know.

Also, at the good stops that actually have a real restaurant, a minimum fuel purchase often nets you a free buffet or meal-ticket; ask, as they may not mention it if you don't. ;Sweet

I don't know where you've been running, and I know that all that used to be true everywhere, but on my recent 3 month trip in the western US covering 14 states, it only worked that way at one tiny 2 pump Sinclair truck stop in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. Everywhere else it was, bring in your plastic and we'll turn on the pump.

wreckerman893

Reaction score
Biggest irritation against smaller vehicles is leaving your vehicle sitting at the pump while you go in to pay/***/make a phone call, buy somehing or otherwise hold up someone that is in a hurry.

In my opinion motor homes and tour busses were the worst offenders.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just in case you don't know, Flying-J is now Pilot. FJ sold out or merged with Pilot.
On the net for prices. http://www.pilotflyingj.com/default.aspx

:eek: That is sad news to hear. :eek:

I guess next will be the disappearance of the decent sit-down restaurants that were a trade-mark of the Flying Hook.

Pilot bought out almost every decent truck-stop up and down I-65 in Ky and Indiana; and, the first thing they did was to tear out the good restaurants and replace them with McDonalds, Subway, and such.

I used to look forward to stopping at the truck-stops and could always expect a good enjoyable meal with a genuine waitresse; now they take your money and hand you a sack; :puke: you get to eat on a paper with a plastic fork, wait on yourself, and clean your own table when you are done. :puke:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you've been running, and I know that all that used to be true everywhere, but on my recent 3 month trip in the western US covering 14 states, it only worked that way at one tiny 2 pump Sinclair truck stop in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. Everywhere else it was, bring in your plastic and we'll turn on the pump.

When I am in country that I am familiar with, I tend to only use the good old places that have been there many years and are still owned by the same people.

I don't mind paying several cents more per gallon for good no-nonsense service.

On the rare occasion that I find myself somewhere that requires pre-pay, the way it has always worked thus far is I go inside and give them a bit more cash than required for the amount of fuel that I estimate I will require and GET A RECEIPT; then, after I am done pumping, pull the truck forward, go back inside, and they already have me a fuel-ticket all fixed up, with the generous cash discount already figured in, plus my left-over cash.

At these non-trusting places, I don't trust them any more than they trust me, so I make it a point to prepay as barely over the amount as I can figure.

I only do business at American-owned/operated establishments. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
:eek: That is sad news to hear. :eek:

I guess next will be the disappearance of the decent sit-down restaurants that were a trade-mark of the Flying Hook.

Pilot bought out almost every decent truck-stop up and down I-65 in Ky and Indiana; and, the first thing they did was to tear out the good restaurants and replace them with McDonalds, Subway, and such.

I used to look forward to stopping at the truck-stops and could always expect a good enjoyable meal with a genuine waitresse; now they take your money and hand you a sack; :puke: you get to eat on a paper with a plastic fork, wait on yourself, and clean your own table when you are done. :puke:

Isn't that the truth. I remember when the flying J's first started showing up, it was nice, it was the first consistant clean restrooms in truckstops ever :eek:
I don't know how those drivers can survive anymore with all that fast food being shoved at them. Back when I was driving, at least we almost always got good meals at sit down coffee shops ( even if they sucked, at least they were home cooked and not some frozen pre packed garbage LOL
Psycologically it has to play hell with these new guys in isolating them yet further not to mention how a good truckstop waitress who knows how to read her customers can help them get another few hundred miles down the road, it's an art.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth. I remember when the flying J's first started showing up, it was nice, it was the first consistant clean restrooms in truckstops ever :eek:
I don't know how those drivers can survive anymore with all that fast food being shoved at them. Back when I was driving, at least we almost always got good meals at sit down coffee shops ( even if they sucked, at least they were home cooked and not some frozen pre packed garbage LOL
Psycologically it has to play hell with these new guys in isolating them yet further not to mention how a good truckstop waitress who knows how to read her customers can help them get another few hundred miles down the road, it's an art.

:( Alas, another piece of America gone. -Playme

I see the same change for the worse in chain restaurants.

More and more, they take your money BEFORE you even sit down.

Then some "waitresse" comes along, says "Hi. I'm Delilah. I will be your waitresse."; she checks that you do indeed have a paid meal-ticket, asks if you need anything; and, then she disappears, never to be seen again.

Unless the place was just built last week, the restrooms smell like an outdoor toilet.

My little one-light town is fortunate to still have a restaurant where the waitresse brings you a menu and works her tables like a Harvey Girl. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when the flying J's first started showing up, it was nice, it was the first consistant clean restrooms in truckstops ever :eek:

Another change for the worse that I have noticed at the good old truck-stops that have been taken over by the big chain :

It used to be that there were TWO separate sets of restrooms; one set for the common tourists and a separate, more private, much cleaner one dedicated for drivers.

They have eliminated the special trucker ones. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online