Truck runs for about 1 min after key off?

Mike D

Reaction score
Okay so i installed a #6 torque plate on my 94 12v and once the truck is warm the truck takes about a min to shut off after the key is off. my thought that it could be the extra fuel in the lift pump or the shutoff selinoid took a crap? what do you guys think.
mike

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
So, are you saying that after shutdown the engine diesels on cookoo LOL I thought only gasoline engines did that! :puke:

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
shutoff solenoid is shot.... the solenoid should pick up with the key on... and then drop out immediately with key off....

sounds like this one is dragging/binding for some reason and wont drop out immediately. Its an electromagnetic style switch if Im not mistaken.

Easy to check.... put fingers on the actuating rod (goes to injection pump) and have somebody cycle the key.

Torque plate wont affect the lift pump any.... lift pump is just a supply to the P7100 pump. The torque plate affects the amount of fuel in the barrels of the P7100 and thats where your extra fuel and power comes from.

batfish

Reaction score
You can remove the shut-off solenoid and clean the rod etc real good to prevent it from sticking. The rubber boot gets shot and allows grime in there and the rod sticks. It should completely drop with the key off and pull up with you turn the key. Its a real simple device. It is strange why this started after you change the fuel plate though?

Mike D

Reaction score
It is the shut off selenoid because sometimes now when i start the truck it dies then i just have to push the selenoid lever up and the truck will run.

Whit

Reaction score
Oh and here is a good tip from Illflem, he knows the 12 valvers very well

Most common coil pull up problem I've run into is a corroded blue wire at the drivers side battery. This supplies the juice to the solenoid relay and is actually a fusible link.
Many times the wire is corroded under the insulation where you can't see it. Just cut it off and crimp on a new connector. What often causes it to be intermittent is engine vibration or a person moving the wire around causing it make and break connection.
You can also check the small wire from the starter that supplies juice to trigger the lift up relay to make sure it's in good shape.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Something simple, also. Check to be sure your body ground is good. The Crossbreed has the same problem. A simple jumper, from the battery to the fender makes it all good.

Just $.02 from BFE.

Mike D

Reaction score
yeah the battery connections everywhere need to be sorted around and replaced. the last owner did some shotty wiring/matinence. just bought the truck a month ago.

Mike D

Reaction score
Bring it. i took the shaft out of the selenoid and lubed it up it works fine now. the truck actually turns off and on now. :thumbsup: