troubleshooting electrical

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
turn the key--0 volts on the gauge (aftermarket not factory)
Test both batteries--0 volts
Hook up battery charger--13.8 volts both batteries
Turn key with battery charger hooked up--nothing and 0 volts on the gauge.
Pull headlight switch to see if lights will come on--nothing

So something absolutely drained both batteries to 0 between Thursday night and Friday morning (I took it out because Amy's car was in the shop Friday and I wanted to make sure everything was OK for her--aren't I just swell?)

Known problems--Battery cable terminals are all shot but still usable (afro-engineered)
Ignition switch works without a key

On edit: There's a red wire feeding the line side of the starter solenoid, a black wire from the line side of the starter solenoid to the line side of the glow plug solenoid, and then a green wire with a fusible link that goes from the line side of the glow plug solenoid out into the harness. There are also a few other fusible links nearby. Is it possible that one of those links are blown? How does one trouble shoot other than skinning the wire a bit and testing it to ground?

How about a schematic somewhere.

Last edited:

tknomaj

Reaction score
electrical

Gee all You had to do was ask:D Sorry for delay could not upload pictures
You must be registered for see images attach

a multimeter and piercing connectors are good for this kind of work will just ***** wire and not leave big scar fast and dirty is a 12v test light but remember to seal wear you intrude into wire with nail polish and then electrical tape to seal other wise just asking for trouble in future

1984 Ford Truck F 250 2WD Pickup V8-6.9L DSL
Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Diagrams Diagram Information and Instructions Wire Color Code Identification

Wire Color Code Identification
Notes

NOTE: Whenever a wire is labeled with two colors; the first color listed is the basic color of the wire, and the second color is the tracer marking of the wire. If the second color is followed by by a D, the tracer is dots. If the second color is followed by an H, the tracer is hash marks.

For example: BR/O is a brown wire with an orange stripe, R/Y D is a red wire with yellow dots and BK/W H is a black wire with white hash marks.

BL: Blue
BK: Black
BR: Brown
DB: Dark Blue
DG: Dark Green
GR: Green
GY: Gray
LB: Light Blue
LG: Light Green
N: Natural
O: Orange
PK: Pink
R: Red
P: Purple
T: Tan
V: Violet
W: White
Y: Yellow

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like you are not making a connection at the terminals. if you twist/work the terminals does it come back on line? i have had this happen where it showed dead you worked the terminals and it would come back. if i tried to start it, it would die again, work the terminals and it was back. do this a couple of times untile it held a good enough connection to start. then when i could afford to buy another battery cable making 4.00 an hr at 16 i would. vicious cycle.......

where are you reading the battery voltage off the terminal or the center of the post?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Why are you worried Barney? Didn't that guy in Texas already sell your truck?? :rotflmao

Sorry Barney... I'll keep quiet now..:angel:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Why are you worried Barney? Didn't that guy in Texas already sell your truck?? :rotflmao

Sorry Barney... I'll keep quiet now..:angel:

Ouch!

Change the terminal ends if they're bad!
Between them and dirty battery posts, the batteries will not be to capacity and won't charge well.

I've done as Jared has done. Can only get away with that for awhile. Well depending on starter life.:rolleyes:

As far as the fusible links go, you'll know if they're bad just by touching them. They'll crumble.