Trip to the Junk Yard

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
Hi ya'll. Yesterday I visited one of the local junk yards here in west Texas. (Needed a spare tire for a Chevy pickup). Well as I was walking around I came across a 1994 Ford Super duty, I started looking at it pretty through and found that it has a hydroboost as well as a zf-5 transmission in it. But I does have the first gen powerstroke in it. My question to ya'll is can I make the zf5 work in my 84 6.9 idi. My concerns start with the speedo wiring and what modifications I would have to do to it to make it read. I think from reading here the trans will bolt up with no problem, but my concern is the speedo. Also since I know I need to replace the pedal for the hydroboost setup, looks like I should grab the whole setup, if I can get a good deal on it. I think that pedal setup would bolt into my truck as well. Any help is appreciated.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First on hydro...

Remove every single part...all lines to from booster...the fitting in the pump and the spring and valve.. the pump reserviour ...lines to steering box master cyl and brake pedal..you can just remove pedal from azsembly once you remove pedal azsembly...that pedal will bolt into your pedal azsembly.

On trans you could use it but is yers 2wd or 4wd. ? Answer this then we can answer you.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if his truck is 2 or 4 wheel with a superduty trans. If it's 2 wheel leave the parking brake bolted to the back. If it's 4 wheel take it off.

If it's 4 wheel then there is no speedo concern, your cable will remain in the transfer case no matter what transmission. If it's 2 wheel I do not have an answer for that but I imagine that the transmission would still have the hole for the cable to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if his truck is 2 or 4 wheel with a superduty trans. If it's 2 wheel leave the parking brake bolted to the back. If it's 4 wheel take it off.

If it's 4 wheel then there is no speedo concern, your cable will remain in the transfer case no matter what transmission. If it's 2 wheel I do not have an answer for that but I imagine that the transmission would still have the hole for the cable to go in.

Nope tcase is where speedo is drive from for 4wd when mechanical

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
riotwarrior are you saying that even though the f is 2 wheel drive to put the zf5 I would have to add a 91 and down transfer case in to have the mechanical speedo?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F450 rear axles do not have a parking brake. So ford used a 4x4 trans and added a parking brake drum to the drive line. Look on it somewhere for a hole about 1" where you could put a speedo cable in. If doesn't have one you would have to add a transfer case to your 2wd truck for your speedo. Which isn't a bad idea because you would then have a low range for backing up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. Either way could make it work, thanks for the help.

Anyway you slice it yer building or buying a new rear drive shaft.

And yes thats exactly what I am saying...tcase 91 down for mechanical speedo...as the Park brake on SD is likely void of speedo hole and gear.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway you slice it yer building or buying a new rear drive shaft.

And yes thats exactly what I am saying...tcase 91 down for mechanical speedo...as the Park brake on SD is likely void of speedo hole and gear.

I know a 91 I parted out had that port. I think I may I think I might have another parking brake assembly from an 89.... Hmmm I'm going to have to look and see if I can find it and if it has the speedo port.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7