Transmission rebuild advice

Da Swede

Reaction score
I have a 1992 e350 and the trans shifts hard 1 2. Replaced the tps and same problem (hoped for easy fix). I tow every trailer i own with this van and love it. Not having a turbo kind of sucks but i make it up. Recently i was going over the mississippi river in st louis (tons of stop and go) and smelled trans fluid. I had about 5 mils before i could exit and a few times at about 60 i would hit the gas and she would rev up. Hit again rev up. Hit again and cluck and off we get. I would assume something is not locking or is locking when it should.

I can get a rebuild e4od from a shop with the updated parts for about 1100. 1300 with a new convertor. He offered to beef it up doing the following. 1 yr 36k warranty.

200 Transgo Tugger Shift Kit
350 Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter UPGRADE
250 6 Pinion Front and Rear Planetary
150 4R100 Clutch Stackups

500 to install plus fluid and flush. I was going to add a cooler (fluid is burnt and has a code for trans temp). I also was going to use amsoil synthetic trans fluid.

Stock cooler just cant handle the big travel trailer we have. The van is also very heavy with the wheel chair lifts we have installed and other mounted handicapped accessories we installed for my son who is in a wheel chair.

I have another option of going to aamco and getting the trans rebuilt with a 2 yr nationwide warranty. But if i go this route i would still like to upgrade some parts like the other shop has suggested. He ball parked me at 1700-2500 for rebuild. I didnt mention upgraded parts to him yet.

Im looking for advice and to see if these upgrades are a must or if i should consider other upgrades besides what he suggested. I am not a trans expert by any means and dont have a million in the bank. Any input would be great. Thanks.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Pass on Aamco they offer recycled band aided junk.

Add a TruCool 4739 cooler. This will take care of your cooling needs.

Everything on your rebuild list is a plus. Except for the 4R100 clutch stacks. They are different from the E4OD. You could add more frictions to the stock drums. But you cant use the 4R100 clutches with the stock E4 drums unless they are swapped with 4R drums.

Be sure to request "steel carrier" for the planet gears. Some places will use the aluminum version of this part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online