Transmission pan drain

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used a drain plug kit on there pan? I got one from Napa that uses nylon washers to seal it and was wondering if they leak? I was hoping to install it when I put my shift kit in my C6.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i usually use the neoprene with a copper outside.

the nylons do good, and it wont leak, until you remove it, then youll need to replace it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The C6 and the E4OD pans have corner bolts that are longer than the others. They allow the pans to drop down lower so you have an area where the trans fluid can spill over the low edge. Its a very poor design but it will work. No matter if you have a pan with a drain plug it will still be a messy job.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like every kit comes with them nylon washers nowadays, don't like them too much. Go oldschool and buy yourself a variety pack of copper o-rings/washers/gaskets from the Help section of the parts store, costs like $3-$4, it will have the size you need in it. And you only need one copper seal, it goes on the side of the pan that doesn't have the kit's big nut on it - so if the nut goes to the inside of the pan (which is usually where it goes), the seal will go on the outside of the pan. Done a few like that, never an issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try checking ebay for a used pan. I purchased my Mag Hitech E4OD deep sump pan that way. The guy I bought it from even lived here my my town. It gives me an extra 2 gallons of trans fluid and a nice port for the temp sender. The drain plug is sealed by an o ring as is the pan to trans body. Now my biggest fear is how to drain that much fluid without making a mess. And no.. I'm not going to find a field and drain it to the dirt. I will still have to get under the rig in the mess so I need to think this out. A 5 gallon bucket wont fit under there either. Already thought bout that.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Seems like every kit comes with them nylon washers nowadays, don't like them too much. Go oldschool and buy yourself a variety pack of copper o-rings/washers/gaskets from the Help section of the parts store, costs like $3-$4, it will have the size you need in it. And you only need one copper seal, it goes on the side of the pan that doesn't have the kit's big nut on it - so if the nut goes to the inside of the pan (which is usually where it goes), the seal will go on the outside of the pan. Done a few like that, never an issue.

Thought I was the only one who didn't like nylon washers.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try checking ebay for a used pan. I purchased my Mag Hitech E4OD deep sump pan that way. The guy I bought it from even lived here my my town. It gives me an extra 2 gallons of trans fluid and a nice port for the temp sender. The drain plug is sealed by an o ring as is the pan to trans body. Now my biggest fear is how to drain that much fluid without making a mess. And no.. I'm not going to find a field and drain it to the dirt. I will still have to get under the rig in the mess so I need to think this out. A 5 gallon bucket wont fit under there either. Already thought bout that.

run to the hardware store and grab a mixing pan for masonry.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/d6/d6ce8f5c-f67d-4570-a30e-8ae1dc1f15de_1000.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody used a drain plug kit on there pan? I got one from Napa that uses nylon washers to seal it and was wondering if they leak? I was hoping to install it when I put my shift kit in my C6.

i used one just like that in my old e40d trans pan.made by b&m.it worked fine.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the mixing pan home depot idea. I sure will buy one and use it.....:thumbsup::thumbsup::sly

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have one like this:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/125...SEPLA&ef_id=VV0NcgAAAPT3cnCU:20151106001704:s

Sitting on one of these:

http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-drain-pan/flotool-galvanized-drip-tray/475418_0_0/

Use nitril gloves, when the drain pan starts getting full, cover the hole with a thumb and reinstall the plug. Empty the container, do it again. The galvanized pan catches all the little drips and keeps the floor clean.

Don't know why it took me so long to by one of the those drip pans....

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can buy the 4r100 trans pan.it comes with a drain plug and they run about $40

F81Z7A194BA

tip.
4r100 pans are 4wd depth.always use the 4wd filter when using one.

What...a 4x4 filter...there's a difference? I hope they ain't one on a C6 I might have got the wrong filter. Or is that just for the 4r100?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 4wd filter for the E4OD is a deeper suction filter. I use the 4 wd filter in my mag hi tech pan.
This is the pan I have but you bet I did not pay this muhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Mag-Hytec-Transmission-Pan-94-03-Ford-Powerstroke-7-3L-Diesel-Truck-E4OD-4R100-/131425426653?hash=item1e9990dcdd:m:m3GZzrpSbTTBzl7LKAnsirA&vxp=mtrch for it...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mag-Hytec-T...m1e9990dcdd:m:m3GZzrpSbTTBzl7LKAnsirA&vxp=mtr

Last edited: