Transmission line replacement

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, one of the lines going to the transmission cooler on my 94 factory turbo got crimped/pinched my belt decided to take it's self off. Has anyone replaced one of these lines? How bad is it? I was going to go to the dealership to see if I can get the line. How hard are these to replace? Any useful info?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really no need to replace the complete line. Just use a piece of hose suitable for the temp and oil with either 1 or 2 clamps on each end. Its 3/8 tubing. Some of the early E4OD trans lines were 5/16 like mine. I modified that when I installed a Jaspers rebuilt trans about 15 years ago. It was a well built trans but nothing like my BTS trans is now.:thumbsup:

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really no need to replace the complete line. Just use a piece of hose suitable for the temp and oil with either 1 or 2 clamps on each end. Its 3/8 tubing. Some of the early E4OD trans lines were 5/16 like mine. I modified that when I installed a Jaspers rebuilt trans about 15 years ago. It was a well built trans but nothing like my BTS trans is now.:thumbsup:

I guess my only concern with that is that one end would not have barb/lip on it. Are you thinking it will seal fine with just hose clamps even with no barb/lip on one side?

gandalf

Reaction score
I guess my only concern with that is that one end would not have barb/lip on it. Are you thinking it will seal fine with just hose clamps even with no barb/lip on one side?

Mine did. When I installed the transmission cooler I had to reconfigure the lines from the transmission to the stock cooler, in the bottom of the radiator, and the new cooler. There was no way that the existing lines would service the additional cooler. I used barbed fitting where possible, but one of the existing lines offered no other possibility than to slip a hose on and clamp it down. The hard lines on my truck, the '92, do not, and never have, go all the way to the cooler. I guess Ford put some hose in the system to combat movement and vibration.

If you feel more comfortable, double clamp, use two hose clamps. This is not a particularly high pressure system.

That being said, have to looked at the connections to the stock cooler at the bottom of the radiator? Are they hard lines all the way to the cooler? Are they hoses going onto barbed connections? Mine are hoses slipped onto what might be barbed connections. I have hose clamps at the ends of all hoses.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I appreciate the input. It just picked up a new hacksaw blade and some small hose clamps. I am pretty sure I already have transmission cooler line at home. I'll report back.

*edit* I was thinking about putting a little bit of rtv on the non barbed side to help it seal and stick.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't use RTV. It can migrate into the system and really mess up the small ports in the valve body. Permatex avaition cement will be more than enough. The line pressure is not enough to force the hose off the line without a barb or flair. If you that concerned try some hair spray in the hard line before you press on the rubber hose. Guys making high boost do that to the intercooler boots to the aluminum lines. It holds the rubber boots to the line better and those lines have flairs.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
local shop here cleans the metal line up then uses super glue and clamps.once that glue glues the rubber line to the metal its not coming off.i just double clamp em myself

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Use a tubing cutter to cut the tranny lines. A hack saw can crud into the lines. Something you don't want to do.

Flair the end or double clamp it. NO RTV.

If the lines are toast get some brake lines and bend your own.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your more comfortable with barbs, you can buy and solder brass ones in place. Or use a compression fitting.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like trackspeeder says. tubing cutter, flare the end and clamps, done. I did mine the same a few months back and zero leaks since.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up using a 24tpi hack saw blade, then I blew everything off with compressed air. I also have one of those inline magnetic filters on the other transmission line so I am not super concerned if a little bit got into the line...with the hack saw blade I bought the shavings are so fine more like metal dust. I did not flare anything, I just double clamped it, so hopefully it will hold. When I finished up last night I was not able to see if it was leaking, I could tell it was not pouring out, so I will report back when I have had a chance to clean up that area and check for leaks.