Trans swapping question(s)

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's like this. I love my truck....But HATE auto transmissions. According to the previous owner, the auto trans was rebuilt by BTS. It has given me zero problems, but I want a standard.

My brother in law has a 4-speed, xfercase, & pedal assembly out of an '81 F-250. I haven't been out to check it out yet. I'm afraid it probably isn't going to work for me. The F-250 it was in came stock with a 300cid inline 6.

Now, here's the question. what are the odds this thing is going to bolt up? If there is no chance it's going to happen, I'm not making the drive to go and take the measurements. I'm betting there is not a chance in hell, but would love to be told differently.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
nope diesel has a specific bolt pattern you can only use a gear off another idi.

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
where abouts in AR and what trans are you looking for?
i'm stalking around yell & pope county looking for idi parts. i can keep i eye out for what you want, if you like.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going through the trouble of swapping the transmission, then you might as well get a 5 speed instead. It will make the truck a completely different animal.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is his truck(1981) will have a manual clutch linkage setup. Your sig truck(1986) would have come with a hydraulic clutch. There are dimples in the firewall for you to drill out and install the clutch master cylinder. You would need the pedal assembly from an 84-86 ford truck. Since you would need a new bellhousing anyway, just find one from an 84+ diesel. I would also second the 5spd option though. If your gonna go to the trouble of a conversion, may as well do it right the first time. I converted my 85 F-250 from a C6 to a ZF and couldn't have been happier with the results.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would I install a 4sp rather than a 5? Easy....The 4sp and everything that goes with it is FREE! Mine for the taking. (If I use it)

Just bought another house and cash is tight, otherwise I would be going all out. The missus doesn't want me to do the swap at all, she wants Smaug and wants me to buy myself a different truck.