Tranny problems when tlr lights are hooked up!!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
The inclosed tlr was not grounded by the hitch. I tested wires on truck. Plugged tlr in and tested. Still haven't looked at it. Changed my new downpipe I got for the holidays instead. Found loose fuel filter cap and sand in fuel bowl. Truck ran like crap til I cleaned the bowl. Gunna buy two new filters and keep a eye on it.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Changing the bolts to studs or vice versa won't make a difference.
The top two are bolts, lower ones are studs.
Far as the EBPV, you wouldn't smell it, but you'd for sure hear it. If your oil is getting thin, it won't make enough pressure to open it. Or the EBP tube and sensor could be clogged.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the odometer goes blank, does the speedometer drop to zero at the same time?

WRT the trailer wiring and shifting, it's probably related to the brake lights. And rather than shifting out of overdrive, you're probably experiencing the torque converter unlocking. Normally, when you press the brake pedal and the brake pedal switch closes, the PCM picks that up and unlocks the TC. But there are cases where the PCM can pick up that signal falsely, for example when a brake light is burned out. A hinky brake light / turn signal wire (since they use the same bulb filament) in the trailer wiring could do the same.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Only thing that stopped working was odometer. Haven't messed with it yet. Time to do brakes on the wife's Tahoe instead.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there's no separate power to the odometer display; when it goes blank, USUALLY the speedo dies with it. If the speedometer continues to work when the odometer goes blank, that suggests (not conclusively, of course) an internal problem in the PSOM.

92chevyidi

Reaction score
The shifting in and out of od might just be the converter unlocking, it is controled by the brake lights, Ive even herd if you turn on the hazzards the convertor will lock and unlock as the lights flash.

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Haven't messed with it lately. Did pick up a brake controller the other day. Plan on wiring it up soon

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin