Tranny problems when tlr lights are hooked up!!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
I recently towed by bosses car tlr and the truck was shifting in and out of OD. Unplugged tlr and no more issues. Replaced plug... Towed my dads bike tlr today and it was super shifting. Top gear by 30 mph! Un plugged tlr. same thing. Un did wiring for plug. Problems fixed. Also my odometer has been randomly going blank. After I hooked up to the bike tlr. Then coming back on. Any ideas fellas.? B

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Figures so. Just looking for ideas I reckon. I'll pull her in the shop and attack it with my boss. Also need up pipe bolts and gaskets. Sounds like a triton when I put a load on it. Also need to check bearings in front shes got a slight vib she didn't have . Lol

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, my up pipes still leak after replacing the donuts. But I wasn't able to expand the ends to make it fit tightly enough. Eventually just going to do some bellowed up pipes.
Apparently dorman sells a kit that's supposed to be okay.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
Looks like a decent kit. For decent money. Still saving for chip. Finally got a 3" DP gunna put that in soon. Just had foot surgery and I'm still getting back to moving decently.
I'm up for a good raise next year. I'm way to read for it. lol

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a problem either in the trucks plug or somewhere on the trailer.probably a bad ground.or the trailers are wired to thetrucks that normally drag them without following the standard trailer wiring diagrams.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two diff plugs two diff problems

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

Ya two different plugs that are wired to the trucks dragging them without following the proper diagram or your truck not wired according to the standard trailer wiring diagram for your style plug.

Or youre trying to use an adapter to plug a small round 6 pin/flat 4 pin into your big 7 pin camper style plug.

Your truck is fine till you plug these trailers in?the problem is either in the trucks plug(doubt it),or in the trailers you are borrowing.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my up pipes still leak after replacing the donuts. But I wasn't able to expand the ends to make it fit tightly enough. Eventually just going to do some bellowed up pipes.
Apparently dorman sells a kit that's supposed to be okay.

Did you use the ford/ih donuts? Exhaust donuts for smallblock chevys usualy help sealing worn uppipes and last longer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Did you use the ford/ih donuts? Exhaust donuts for smallblock chevys usualy help sealing worn uppipes and last longer.

Mine came from riffraff. They were actually cheaper than the chevy ones.
Think they were felpro.

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ODO blanking seems unrelated. But, if you have a trailer wired funky enough to confuse the transmission, the PSOM may be shutting off to save itself? Especially if the trailer is grounding itself through the hith instead of the plug?

For the up pipe gasket change...

I may be pulling my trans soon for a converter upgrade.

Should I change up gaskets too? Both ends? Or is there only one end that can be serviced.

I do get a whiff of exhaust when it is cold and the EBPV may be partially kicking in.

Also, should I change any turbo or pedestal bolts to studs or the other way around to make them easier to remove from the top?

I have a EBPV deleted pedestal for a later turbo upgrade.

Last edited: