Tranny or torque converter......

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have another question.......
What is the proper name for the front main seal?
I've been looking through the catalog for Rock Auto.
They list a dozen different seals, I just came seen to narrow it down

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok
Update
I got bored, and a little spare time the other night, so I went to the garage.
If you subtract the time it took to find tools and drink beer, it only took me about 2½ hours to get the TC out. Not to bad.

When I got it out, I just barely tilted it to the side, and sure enough... That tell tale sound....full of marbles

So I got with my local transmission guy, (best around here) to check what he could get me a new TC for, or rebuild mine.

I went back today, and he says he cut my old one open just outta curiosity, and he wanted me to see it. (Sorry I forgot to snap pics)
It was trashed, all the fins where broken, and the case was full of metal. He asked what all had been done to the engine, it must be a stout one. I said.... Lol.. No bone stock.... Just my brother's handiwork.

So i got my new TC, it's a Ford TC with brazed fins. Supposed to be really good.... Idk... I'm not an auto transmission expert...I prefer a straight.

I just hope all the metal floating around inside didn't kill the tranny. Like my transmission guy said..... All that fluid and metal runs straight through the pump.... Just have to see...I hope she's ok for awhile

I'll put it back together

Flush it

Ride it about 500 miles

And flush it again

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a trans temp gauge? If not I would replace the cooler once you are confident that most of the metal is "gone". I wonder if you could install an additional in-line filter?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caution. Any time the TC disintegrate like that, some of the parts can return to the tranny. If you have any aux coolers up front, it's really hard to flush out any debris. Put a Magnafine filter in the return line, it has a magnet in it to catch any metal. When you pull the tranny pan, you might see some metal there. It's a good thing to put one of those filters in the line to the coolers also. There about $16 from a Ford dealer.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put it all back together tonight. Now I'm just waiting on fluid and a new filter kit. I pulled the pan tonight after getting everything hooked back up, and it didn't look bad. There were no big chunks and metal, just a lot of the fine dust on the magnet.

While i was getting everything ready to put back together, I hooked an airline up to the cooler line and ran 5lbs of air through the cooler for about twenty minutes until it was dry.

There was some black ATF that came out, but that was it

Guess I'll flush it when i get the fluid to do so

Almost there

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put it all back together, and took her for a test drive
She runs great, shifts smooth, with no slipping
Only issue is, I think she runs a little on the hot side
Temp gauge says 180° - 190°
I shut her down for fear of overheating.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace the coolers all together

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok
I ran her some more tonight
She got a little hotter than what I like, 210°.
So I stopped and got out then crawled under her and checked the pin where the sensor goes in the pan 162°, and the case about half way up was 183°.
So I dunno, maybe a bad gauge?
It is an Auto Meter Pro Comp, so it's not like it's a el cheapo, but it is about 13 or so years old, so I dunno.
Btw, it is an electric gauge also, and when I tap on it, it'll go up about ten degrees